Alternative to egg crate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
When I redo one of my tanks I want to put something down to help protect the glass if a rock falls or shifts. I've been trying to find egg crate (light diffuser) but I give up. Been ringing and visiting lighting and hardware stores and they all don't have it.
I was thinking styrofoam but would it break down or release chemicals? I know it's used in false rock backgrounds but it's sealed. This won't be.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Mumma.of.two said:
When I redo one of my tanks I want to put something down to help protect the glass if a rock falls or shifts. I've been trying to find egg crate (light diffuser) but I give up. Been ringing and visiting lighting and hardware stores and they all don't have it.
I was thinking styrofoam but would it break down or release chemicals? I know it's used in false rock backgrounds but it's sealed. This won't be.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm just thinking out loud here, what about like a piece of rubber similar to a yoga mat?

Edit-I don't think I quite understand what egg crate is, I'm sorry lol

Mumma.of.two said:
Thanks guys! Slate tiles sound like the way to go. Ive got a hardware store up the road and around the corner that should stock them.

Yeah lol. Sorry about my suggestion. I now understand what this is. LOL

George9 said:
I'm just thinking out loud here, what about like a piece of rubber similar to a yoga mat?

Edit-I don't think I quite understand what egg crate is, I'm sorry lol

image-1236316672.jpg

It's used in floro lighting fixtures to diffuse the light.

George9 said:
Yeah lol. Sorry about my suggestion. I now understand what this is. LOL

It was a good suggestion!

Attachments

• image-3304910721.jpg
    image-3304910721.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 3,255
Mumma.of.two said:
It's used in floro lighting fixtures to diffuse the light.

Does this go under the substrate? Common sense would tell me yes?

Pardon my stupidity :D it's Monday

Sorry to kinda jack your thread too :)

George9 said:
Does this go under the substrate?

Pardon my stupidity :D it's Monday

Sorry to kinda jack your thread too :)

All good. :) it goes glass bottom, then egg crate or whatever, then stones/rocks then substrate to cover the bottom. If a rock falls it hits the egg crate not the glass bottom and the force is more evenly distributed. It protects the glass. :)

Mumma.of.two said:
All good. :) it goes glass bottom, then egg crate or whatever, then stones/rocks then substrate to cover the bottom. If a rock falls it hits the egg crate not the glass bottom and the force is more evenly distributed. It protects the glass. :)

Oh aha! Thanks for clearing that up :)

I'm surprised they don't have a light diffuser there Mumma, but i've never been there so I don't know what kind of lighting they have in their buildings. It is/was a commonplace thing in govt buildings like schools and whatnot.

jetajockey said:
I'm surprised they don't have a light diffuser there Mumma, but i've never been there so I don't know what kind of lighting they have in their buildings. It is/was a commonplace thing in govt buildings like schools and whatnot.

I am too. I don't ever recall seeing it in school or at my old work but then I wasn't in the habit of looking at the lights. :p When I asked for light diffuser for fluorescent lighting I got taken to the section with light covers. They where full sheets if plastic with raised lines, bumps and squares. I even googled pictures and showed them. I must have looked like a real nutter!

If ya have some old box fans you can use the the grills from those.

Yeah I have dozens of broken box fans from work so the idea popped into my head. Construction is rough on fans lol. You know I probably should start throwing them away really have no idea why I put them in my shed o_O

Styro will work. A friend used it in all his tanks after losing two bottoms to point loads caused by a rock pressing down on a grain of gravel. It should be less of an issue with sand.

BillD said:
Styro will work. A friend used it in all his tanks after losing two bottoms to point loads caused by a rock pressing down on a grain of gravel. It should be less of an issue with sand.

That's exactly what I'm worried about :/
He never had an issue? It would be the cheapest and easiest option for me.

All kinds of people use rubberbands and such in their aquariums so I'd think so

Well if you think about it most fish tanks have plenty of rubber in them. One example is the heater, the fully submerged one i have has rubber caps on the top and the bottom, another example is rubber O rings, my filter has one going from the motor to the water tank. Also if you have ever seen people make plywood fish tanks they use liquid rubber! I'm pretty sure you're okay using that, and if you're not I will drive to your house and clean your fish tank out for you and bring you some egg crates!

Back
Top Bottom