Am I missing something to quiet my filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeyWestSeasalt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 74 gallon bow front tank with a protein skimmer and filtration system. The water filters down a hollow tube about 8 inches wide and as deep as the tank. The slits in the plastic at the top and the middle allow for filtration of the water into the tank below with the "bio" bag. Being a newbie 6 months ago, I had someone come in and set up the tank. I've been correcting his garbage for 6 months, needless to say. When the water goes into the hollow tube to drop to the bio material, there is nothing in the container to catch it and it sounds like we have Niagra Falls in the living room. Are there supposed to be bio balls or something in the empty space before it hits the container below the tank, or are we just allowing the water to flow into empty air before it hits the filtration tank below.

I'm having an algae problem and can't help think that we're missing a filtration step somewhere (literally) in the middle.

Any help would be appreciated!

Do you have any picts of the setup so I can get a better idea what you are experiencing ,
but from what you said I'm thinking you could have a easy fix to solve your loud water fall , that's If it is just a long fall for the water , you could maybe just extend the tube down to the bottom so it's not just pouring down like a water fall to quiet things down,
there could be a better fix but it's hard to tell till I can see a pict , I have a sneaky feeling the overflows aren't set up right
also forgot to ask is this tank drilled

Last edited:
From what I can gather, you have a pre drilled "reef ready" tank with an overflow box. I made my own durso standpipes for a couple dollars worth of pvc pipe. You control the water level by the size of the vent in the top cap. Get several caps and experiment with different size holes. You can make the water fall a couple inches which will quiet it down. If you make the hole too small it will "toilet bowl" up and down because of too much suction.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom