Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2020, 12:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Another filter question

Where does everyone position their intake, exhaust and heaters? Iíve seen some videos where they are all set up right next to each other in a corner, and Iíve also seen videos where all three are set up in different corners.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:41 AM   #2

Also, my exhaust inside the tank only goes down about 4 inches, when I top off the tank it is barely underwater. Should it be completely underwater? Or stay At the water line? I can point it in any direction straight away, but not up and down, I feel like I would get a much better flow if I could point it downwards but no such luck

Old 10-21-2020, 07:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The outlet doesn't have to be underwater. It causes better o2 exchange with the greater surface agitation. The only negative is, if it's a high flow, it can cause lots of bubbles and give a white water rapids effect, lol. It's really more of a visual appeal. I place my heater either near the discharge or intake, just to help the filter flow spread the warmer water around. On several of my bigger tanks I have 2 heaters, so I place 1 near each the intake and outflow
Old 10-21-2020, 08:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Positioning your heater next to your intake will take the warm water and distribute it throughout the tank better. As far as the outputs, if it can cause a good circulation of water, you are fine.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebankston View Post
The outlet doesn't have to be underwater. It causes better o2 exchange with the greater surface agitation. The only negative is, if it's a high flow, it can cause lots of bubbles and give a white water rapids effect, lol. It's really more of a visual appeal. I place my heater either near the discharge or intake, just to help the filter flow spread the warmer water around. On several of my bigger tanks I have 2 heaters, so I place 1 near each the intake and outflow

Thanks man, Iím going to move all three next to each other in a corner
Old 10-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwonder View Post
Positioning your heater next to your intake will take the warm water and distribute it throughout the tank better. As far as the outputs, if it can cause a good circulation of water, you are fine.

Thank you
Old 10-23-2020, 03:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlombard80 View Post
Where does everyone position their intake, exhaust and heaters? I’ve seen some videos where they are all set up right next to each other in a corner, and I’ve also seen videos where all three are set up in different corners.
I've noticed from looking at planted tank video's and was surprised that the filter intake and exhaust were positioned on a single side of the tank. I don't know where I got the idea, but my two filters are positioned in such a way to encourage 1 filter to exhaust into the other. It SEEMS to work fine. edit: I have a finnex(sp) 800 heater that sits below the exhaust from the most powerful of the two filters.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Overfilter View Post
I've noticed from looking at planted tank video's and was surprised that the filter intake and exhaust were positioned on a single side of the tank. I don't know where I got the idea, but my two filters are positioned in such a way to encourage 1 filter to exhaust into the other. It SEEMS to work fine. edit: I have a finnex(sp) 800 heater that sits below the exhaust from the most powerful of the two filters.

Thank you, i have a penn plax cascade 1000, I put the intake, exhaust, and heater all next to each in a back corner and it seems to be working out well, much better current and warm water distribution. The fish seem to love the current as they all let it sweep them across the tank and then they swim back against it, pretty funny to watch
Old 10-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlombard80 View Post
Thank you, i have a penn plax cascade 1000, I put the intake, exhaust, and heater all next to each in a back corner and it seems to be working out well, much better current and warm water distribution. The fish seem to love the current as they all let it sweep them across the tank and then they swim back against it, pretty funny to watch
Since I've been keeping fish I've believed that the tradeoff is maintaining them in the best conditions possible. I must admit though I haven't considered them enjoying any aspect of my tanks. I'll try to take that into account in the future. BTW, the 1000 seems like a solid choice.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

For anyone with an curious mind, I suggest looking up "How Much Filtration Do I Need For My Aquarium?" on YouTube from Aquarium co-op. The host is dripping with experience but doesn't paint it all in brain-dead orthodoxy. He has some technical issues with the live stream at first, but it's worth suffering through and isn't overly long. I like this guy because while I know he runs an aquarium store, he doesn't push a single solution or limited options.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:24 AM   #11

I love it, I run Purigen and matrix in it and my water conditions have gone from fatal to perfect in about 3 weeks and crystal clear, highly recommend.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:32 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I like watching Cory from Aquarium Co-op also. Or reading his posts. Your right, full of good information
Old 11-08-2020, 01:35 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Seachem in general rocks as a company. Do you recharge your Purigen loads, Jlombard80? I tried it once and was disgusted by the process. Any tips?
Old 11-08-2020, 01:38 AM   #14

Yes I actually just did it for the first time a few days ago. I soaked in a 1:1 water to all purpose bleach mix for 24 hours. Rinse it thoroughly and then soak it in clean water and 1-2 caps of Seachem Prime for another 8 hours, rinse and it’s good to go. It has worked great since. I love seachem products as well I use stability, prime, matrix and Purigen.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:39 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Seachem in general rocks as a company. Do you recharge your Purigen loads, Jlombard80? I tried it once and was disgusted by the process. Any tips?
I put my whole bag in a red solo cup full of bleach water, near the sink
Old 11-08-2020, 01:45 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I like watching Cory from Aquarium Co-op also. Or reading his posts. Your right, full of good information
Did you see the content where he covered his breeder tanks? He tends to overfeed his fry and it works. He's a man I can understand.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:51 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Did you see the content where he covered his breeder tanks? He tends to overfeed his fry and it works. He's a man I can understand.
I didn't. I try to avoid breeding any fish as much as possible, lol. But sometimes, when the lights go out, boom- chicka-wow-wow.... then I have to deal with fry in an aggressive cichlid tank. I doubt most of them or eggs make it more than about 4 hours, lol
Old 11-08-2020, 04:22 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I didn't. I try to avoid breeding any fish as much as possible, lol. But sometimes, when the lights go out, boom- chicka-wow-wow.... then I have to deal with fry in an aggressive cichlid tank. I doubt most of them or eggs make it more than about 4 hours, lol
My wife loves rainbow tetras. I popped 10 in my current tank. My greedy blood red ate them all like hotdog's over about 5-hours and was looking for more. The weird thing is that he's one of the overbred types, without teeth. He can't even close his mouth.

If you're haven't seen it yet, look up the content where Cory tours a Chinese aquarium SUPER store. The sheer variety of the life they stock is amazing.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:53 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
My wife loves rainbow tetras. I popped 10 in my current tank. My greedy blood red ate them all like hotdog's over about 5-hours and was looking for more. The weird thing is that he's one of the overbred types, without teeth. He can't even close his mouth.

If you're haven't seen it yet, look up the content where Cory tours a Chinese aquarium SUPER store. The sheer variety of the life they stock is amazing.
I have a blood red exactly like that. He's huge, big giant head. He's tank boss. He can't bite or nip, he just rams with his big ugly head and pushes others around. It's hilarious to watch him with the 2 oscars in there, they just lay over and get shoved around. They are 6-8" too.
And ok cool, I'll check out that video, thanks!
Old 11-08-2020, 09:15 AM   #20

Lol I have a polar blue parrot and he does the same, his name is Huey and he’s hilarious. He’s in there with a Dempsey, firemouth, and jewel and he’s the boss

Tags
filter, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com