another fuge idea (diy)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greatgman

Aquarium Advice Freak
do u think a 5 gallon bucket can work
with a 5-6 inch base and a light with a hole in the side spilling into the sump?
ive got a drawing of a potential diy fuge pending approval

I uses a 25 gal rubbermaid that is only half full. I uses a maxijet 1200 to pump water from the sump to the fuge and I drilled a hole in the rubbermaid to spill back into the sump.

A 5 gal would be fine as long as you tank is not huge. Might not give you alot of benefit if your tank is big other than a haven for pods.

This is the pic from his gallery:

7043bucketfuge1.JPG

It should work quite well especially for pod habitat.

HTH,
R-

If the tank is draining into the 5 gal bucket, you might have too strong a flow and disturb the sand and such. Should work though.

ellisz said:
If the tank is draining into the 5 gal bucket, you might have too strong a flow and disturb the sand and such. Should work though.

yup.. would need a plate in there to trickle down somehow?
Was a good idea...
I don't like the idea of a 5 gallon bucket sitting mect to my tank though... or do I have room for one !

what i'll do is use a mj 1000 and pump water from the tankinto the bucketfuge
then it will spill into the sumps chamber that gets pumped back up to the tank

I would pump it from the fuge up into the bucket. If the pump from the fuge to the main were to fail at least you wouldn't be pumping water out of the tank and onto the floor. :wink:

what i was also thinking of doing is putting a tube down to the bottom and have the water flow up thru the sand
maybe find a way to put some sort of ugf base plate or eggcrate with some fine mesh screen on top of the sand

ne1 know if they make a 5 gal hexagonal ugf?

Back
Top Bottom