Another Python Mildew post...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewz00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok so i have posted about this in the past with mixed results....

many of you have suggested to just leave the valve in the drain position and leave the water running while coiling it up.... did that...

another suggestion was to attach an air pump to one end while its stored... did that too....

im still getting mildew in the tube.... not quite sure how i would thread a string through it to wipe it out....

any other suggestions?

I've never had any mold problems with my python. But as far as getting a string through it, do what we do at work, blow some air through with a pump and blow the string out the other end. We do this all day at work with wires in conduits. After that you can tie a small rag or something to it.

That's a great idea!! You could also suck a string though with a vacuum, and just tie a small piece of cloth to the end of the string so that it would pull the string through. I would think that would be easier (shop vac!)

I use my python often enough that I never notice a mildew issue. I guess if it set out for a couple weeks, it might be an issue.

I'm assuming you use it to fill your tank also? If not, I would flush the line out with tank-temperature water (not hot water, I would think this would make it better for mildew), then pull the drain valve, lay out the hose and 'walk' the water from the siphon end to the drain a couple of times. What I do is walk it out (lifting it up as I walk along it, pushing the water to the drain end), then shut the water off, and then I coil it up which will again force the water to the drain end (I coil starting with the drain end, actually, and I 'roll' it using my forarms) and then empty out the last bit of water (which usually is about 1/4 cup).

What brand of python are you using?

After I'm finished with my python, I open the drain on the faucet attachment and roll the python so that the water all drains out into the sink. For water conservation reasons, I only use the faucet to start the siphon and fill the tanks. I don't get all the water out, but it's only maybe a cup spread across 50ft, so good enough. The python hangs on a hook on the wall when not in use.

Another thought: Is there chlorine in your water?

Have you tried pouring some hydrogen peroxide into the python? You could roll it around in the tube and make sure it got the mildew. It dissipates in water so you wouldn't have to worry about it if you rinse the python.

its the Python brand one...

i also start the coil at the tank end and leave the water running to "suck" the remaining water out... elevating my end above the sink... and have an air pump running through it while its stored...

once the pwc is done... i put the sink valve into the drain position.... pull the gravel vac end out of the tank.... hold the gravel vac open end up.. and pick up the hose as i walk back to the sink letting all the water drain towards the sink.... once there i shut the sink and unscrew the hose. i then drop the sink end on the floor... and start to coil from the gravel vac end...again letting the water drain towards the sink end (which is now making a mess on my kitchen floor).... once coiled, it hangs on a hook inside the tank stand where i hook up an air pump which runs constantly blowing air through the python....

what I was asking is whether you leave the sink attachment hooked up to the hose while it is being stored... I remove the gravel vac tube and sink attachment and only have the hose rolled up.

its the Python brand one...

i also start the coil at the tank end and leave the water running to "suck" the remaining water out... elevating my end above the sink... and have an air pump running through it while its stored...

I do the same thing. Except: leaving it in the drain postion and after I have removed the vac tube, I put my thumb over the end of the hose while the water is running, let a good vacuum build, then release. This forces the water through. I do this as I walk to the faucet lifting the hose. Then I remove it, coil it up and stuff it into my bucket. (I waste water as it is doing this, I don't want to waste electricity, too, by using a pump. If it gets bad, I guess I'll figure something out then. This is a new hose that is tinted and I haven't had a problem so far, obviously. My last one years ago was clear and never had a problem. (I don't know if the color would contribute as less light gets in)

Back
Top Bottom