Any experience with the new Fluval G6?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badamsios

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone have experience with the new Fluval G6? Mine is a 120 Gallon Fish only marine tank. Currently I have a sump, with the protein skimmer in it. I allow for 2 inches of evaporation, and it seems every time the height of the water changes even an inch, I have to adjust my skimmer. It's a Coralife Super Skimmer 220. The dial is SO touchy, and I've had water spill on several occasion.

From what I've read, the Fluval eliminates the need for a UV sterilizer, it has both mechanical and chemical filters as well as the biological medium.
According to the pet store, you can use Fluval's OPTI-CARB to reduce organic matter and remove protein, suggesting I can lose the skimmer completely. Changing filters and cleaning is WAY easy.

If all the afore mentioned is true, it leaves me with a couple concerns. While I have plenty of movement of the surface of the water in the tank itself, is the water oxygenated enough with a canister filter? It claims it processes 265 Gallons per hour, and supports up to 160 gallon tanks. I doubt my sump is exchanging anywhere near 250 GPH.

Lastly, I'm assuming water evaporation will be reduced, but now water replacement from evaporation will be done in the tank itself and require an even closer watch, and water changes will take place in the tank. How detrimental is that to the fish? I usually clean the sand when removing water from the tank for the water change, but replace it in the sump.
Badams_IYNS

I'm not big on UV filters, but I can't fathom how a cannister filter can replace the function of a UV filter. UVs kill bacteria - cannister filters don't. The two thing are totally different beasts, with different functions.

Activated carbon, or any of the other synthetic resins on the market remove "organic matter and proteins", so there's nothing new about the Opti-Carb stuff. Even if you used it, I wouldn't suggest losing the skimmer. Again... different things for different functions.

No big deal removing water from the tank during water changes. It's only detrimental to the fish if you're not watching and suck one up in the siphon tube!

The new Fluval G6 is definitely a pretty sexy unit. I'd be lying if I said it hadn't made me think of ditching my HOB Marineland cannister, but the price tag is a bit much for me. But if I had a sump (I don't), I wouldn't even be giving it a second look. It's just a cannister filter with some fancy features and what appears to be an easy method of changing chemical media. It's not going to replace UVs and Skimmers.

I haven't heard many good things about the Coralife Super Skimmers. For about 1/2 of what you'd pay for that G6, a better investment might be a better skimmer.

I have been running a Fluval 305 for almost 3 years and it is a really good filter and easy to maintain. I have an oxygen testing kit and I see no issues with oxygen as long as you break the surface of the water with the return line. I have never heard of Fluval anything acting as a UV steralizer in any way.

Thanks, both of you. I'm going to start a new post and see what I get in the way of recommendations for skimmers. I am So tired of the things.

Back
Top Bottom