Any Ideas on How to set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lepomis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Not exactly sure how to set up the filtration system in my tank. I talked to several a few nights ago and later came to the conclussion I really screwed up the explanation. It was previously a 76g custom reef tank. I wan't to go FW. Here is my take on the system but I am probably clueless. I orginally intended just to cut it out and use a canister but was told the system worked great and woud like to save the money for other goodies. I think the water runs through the combs and spills into compartment A. Compartment A has two areas a half inch wall running the width of the tank and then a larger rectangular area running vertically against one wall. The wall between A and B has a small rectangular cut out for water to pass from A to B. Compartment B sets higher and has an angled top to direct water to spill into Compartment C. Compartment C has a second compartment (not viewable in the base that looks like an area to feed an air source. Along the bottom of the wall between Compartment C and D is a trianglular cut out allowing water to flow into D. Compartment D I would have a siphon leading into Compartment E. E would then have a powerhead to direct the water over A and back into the tank. Compartment E and B are connected (running under C and D) by a passage. I assume a pump is placed in the base of B directed vertically. I probably have this all screwed up and is much simpler than I have made it. So water from the tank spills into A. Water then moves due to current through the rectangular cutout up B and spills into C which would have a foam filter covering bioballs or mesh with an airstone positioned to in base. Water would be filtered and pased throught the triangle cutout in the base wall shared with C and D. D would have addtional filter along with siphon into E. E will then have a head pushing water back into the tank.

Attachments

• aquarium_011_478.jpg
    aquarium_011_478.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 128
What you have pictured there is a sump. From the looks and description are you saying this is attached to the tank? Looks like its part of the back of the tank. Sumps are more used for SW but there are FW applications aswell. Cant tell from the description or the photo but is there a spot where it looks like water would trickle thru a plate or anything? If so you can purchase whats called "bio balls" and use that as a form of a filter.

Back
Top Bottom