Anyone else using a point and shoot temp gun?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMRC Exotics

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just curious since I've seen no mention of it, is anyone else using point and shoot (infrared) temp gauges with their aquariums? Its an awesome tool when like me your changing water weekly for fish with very different temp gradients. Forget soaking multiple thermometers in multiple buckets for extended time, simply point, click, read. Its been consistent with what my in tank thermometers read. I also have one tank where I took pains to conceal stuff and make it look good, I don't want to see thermometers in there.
If nothing more just thought I would pass it along. If it helps speed anyone's WC process then your welcome.
Any thoughts and input are encouraged, and chime in if you've been doing this all along. A quick Google search suggested this was accurate enough to be safe but if anyone has found inconsistencies with IR temp guns vs thermometers let me know.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Finally a reply! Lol. Not particularly expensive. Home depot carries a ryobi point and shoot for $29. I'm sure some Chinese one could be ordered for under $20. Mine was $45 but I also use it for other purposes. The convenience is awesome.

Lol - was scrolling through. I was wondering if it works through glass or at water surface? How it works basically? It is kind of tempting to add to the wish list. :)

I shoot from the top down through the water in my tanks and water change buckets. The outside of the glass would probably be slightly cooler with air against it. Its definitely nice to have. It takes a few min out of my water change process. I have betas ranging from 72° to cichlids at 78-80° so it really comes in handy.

Edit: can't say for certain but I checked my cichlid tank and the outer glass matched the inner tank temp within a degree.

Boy, that's not bad. I'll have to check out some websites. I don't think I've seen it in hardware stores but wasn't looking. Thanks :)

Score! Whole point of my thread was to maybe make someone say 'hey I could use that'. Glad you found it interesting.

I'm glad someone posted about them! My bf bought one for his rc car and we tried it at the waters surface and it said the same as my regular thermometers. These things are amazing!

Use one daily, on the tank, my reptiles, and for checking temp differences in walls etc to look for heat or cold infiltration. One of those how did I live without it items Imo.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did try my temporal artery thermometer from the first aid kit, our of curiosity, because it accurately reads room temps as well as body temps. It's an infrared temp gun of sorts.

Does ok. But I prefer my $5 instant read digital meat thermometer for water changes. I stick it in the tank, then stick it under the tap, and check one more time in the bucket. Super accurate, fast, and ok to get wet.

I use a high end temp gun that can accurately temp running water in milliseconds. Its accurate within .10 degrees Fahrenheit. It by far outpaces any thermometer.

Actually I was picturing something else, if its one of those metal probe digital handle meat thermometers it would be just as efficient. The temp gun is far more efficient than any mercury based thermometer is what I meant. So much quicker, but if its one of those instant read types it would be just as effective, good idea!

I bought one for bike exhaust measurements. I found a cheaper one to be really inaccurate. Might have got a dud one though. Where it really shined for me was using it with a python. Can measure the water temp as it comes out the pipe and measure it as it goes back in. Found my local water supply sometimes fluctuates temp up to 4 degrees celsius.

Back
Top Bottom