Anyone Fluval 304? How to open it best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiffi

Aquarium Advice Addict
This question might sound a little strange, but how do you open up your Fluval 304/404, whatever?

I always pull on the blue clips, which could brake them pretty quick one day! But the top sits so tightly on the canister! Any tricks, ideas?

To be honest, I pull directly from the area of the seal since like you, I don't want to break the clips.

I have to use "brute" force to do this so it may not work for you.

@Jchillin: I won't get far with that, since I'm not really that strong :puppydogeyes: . Ever heard of a bag of bones, that would be me :lol: .

@cinciboy: Don't you ruin the seal after a while?

fluval needs to address the problem soon...it's really a hassle opening them up. i keep on stalling filter maintenance for the same reason.
anyway, i use the brute force method too. but in conjunction with that, i use the flat back of a kitchen knife to pry the lid off slowly - first a little on one side, then a little on the other side.

i unplug first, then close hose valve leaving it still attached to top then stand over the fluval and pushdown on the top with my palms and with my fingures gently pull the clips out the same time, and when closing push down and the clips nearly fall into place

Since I have not seen a "correct" response yet, here is the proper way to open your Fluval canister:

Release the blue retaining clips on the sides by popping out the release handles and leave them sticking out. Then, push down on the release handles. You'll feel resistance, then the top of the canister will counter-push itself from the bottom. Pop! Voila!

Technics: :| i don't quite get how you do it , as my release handles can be soo tight that i'm scared i'm going to break them so i think you mean you pull them out a little bit and then push down on the top and they just pop out?? right :? ? then how do you close it after your done cleaning it??

Tiffi said:
@Jchillin: I won't get far with that, since I'm not really that strong :puppydogeyes: . Ever heard of a bag of bones, that would be me :lol: .

@cinciboy: Don't you ruin the seal after a while?

I dont go deep. I will try to just gently move the plastic portion of it.

whodini said:
Technics: :| i don't quite get how you do it , as my release handles can be soo tight that i'm scared i'm going to break them so i think you mean you pull them out a little bit and then push down on the top and they just pop out?? right :? ? then how do you close it after your done cleaning it??

You know the two blue flip-handles you have to push downward to release the retaining clips? Keep pushing down on those handles even after they stop against the canister.

Fluval 404 very tight to open try some silicone lubricant just on the o-ring next time you take it apart. This seems to allow it to come apart just a little easier. NO spray penetrating lubricant like on a rusty bolt, just pure silicone. (Local Hardware Store). Think the fluval's bad try closing one of those ocean clear canister filters. :(

I guess that's just the thing abaout canister filters. I had an Eheim ecco before and it was horrible to close, too. I finally broke something and had to get a new part, but then I had it figured out 8) .

i used to sell fluval at a local lfs until we discovered eheim.

use eheim filters you pay a little extra but dont have any of the headaches associated with the inferior hagen fluval series! 0X

Hehe, that's a good one :lol: . Like I said I had a Eheim ecco before and it was just as horrible. I finally broke a part and had to go and get it fixed!

Back
Top Bottom