API Canister Filter - low water line?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LHARTWICK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I installed an API Canister Filter XL back in the spring. Ever since I've had it the water line drops slightly (1/2") within a day or two after I fill it back up following maintenance/water changes. I have to cheat and pop one of the clamps open for a split second to get the water line to go back up. I make sure the disconnect valve assembly is properly seated in place and that the hose clamps are on tight. I also make sure the gaskets/o-rings are clean. I've also applied a thin layer of Vaseline to the o-rings in the disconnect valve where the two tubes are connected to make sure they don't dry out and crack and to ensure a better seal. I also make sure the inlet pipe cap is screwed on tight. I've read on other forums that this problem is not uncommon. Should I call API - would that do any good? I do have the plastic hose clamps that came with the filter on the hose connections. I've read where some people change those out for metals ones. Other than that, what else should I look at to try to remedy the air coming in? I can't figure out where the air is coming in from. I've followed the filter instructions to make sure I have everything set up correctly. Any help is appreciated.

It could just be air left over inside slowly gets forced out I always shake my canister after maintenance to get the extra air out.

Back
Top Bottom