Api high range liquid test results?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got the api master liquid test kit (previously used the nutrafin kit) and I'm wondering what you guys think my results mean. The results sheet vary from Orange to purple but I got like a koolaid red result. There is brown for 8.2, but I have been hearing our water is around 7.8 and the old kit even said 7.5. Here's a picture but it doesn't quite show the colours perfectImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447717771.535040.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Got to admit I'm lost on that one :)

Have you tried testing tap water to see if you get a baseline result that makes sense?

Have you tried testing again?if you don't add the right number of drops it will give you an off color

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For starters, are you sure your PH is higher than 7.6? If not, use the regular PH test first to establish that you need to use the high rage test. If you do need the high range, make sure the test reagents have not gone bad by checking the expiration date on the bottles. If all is okay, try retesting with a clean vial and make sure you rinse out the vial first with water you are going to be testing. Use the proper amount of drops and take your reading. Make sure you don't use your fingers to seal off the vial while mixing the test. If your PH is higher or lower than the high PH range, you will not get an accurate color with the test.

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks guys. Tested the one tank again today and it seemed less "koolaid red" and more like it could be brown. So if have to say base on the options given that it's reading close to 8.2. Could be lighting, but still not really the same as the page. And still different from what I've been hearing from everyone else around here, but it is the range I'm looking for with my Malawi cichlids.

When I tested before it was with a brand new kit with expiry dates for 2020, and was done twice after shaking the bottles furiously for a while. Tested the tap water as well today and it's throwing me for a loop as well, it seemed to read the lowest on the high range and highest on the low range. Meaning my water was 7.6ish out of the tap. They have been talking about replacing the old pipes that have been long past due, and a couple streets have been getting major repairs so maybe it's new piping. But I could see it being that fast of a change. Maybe some bs from the treatment plant since the plumbing company I work with has been doing some work there as well -.- either way my tanks are reading consistently that way

Overall I'm not too impressed so far. Another complaint I have is that the 10 and 20 ppm marks look exactly the same for nitrates. I aim for less than 20 so i may as well not even bother looking since I'll get the exact colour before and after a water change anyways lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom