Api test kit help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
Maybe wait a minute or two lol but I don't see a problem doing back to back once.

Okay LOL I've waited sitting on the floor staring up at the tank hitting refresh on my postings HAHA... it's been 10-15 now :)

OMGGGGG!! For the first time in 3 days my new Platy girl Trixie has her color SUDDENLY coming in after 2 B2B PWC... She was dull colored and my male was bright...
MAGICALLY she has red on top fin and dark black striped twin bars that were pencil thin before...red markings on belly and side... Just like my male... Wow didn't realize how quickly it could make such a huge difference!
The molly Juvie's are darting everywhere playing and tumbling...

Mumma.of.two said:
:) lol. Have you done any readings today?

No not yet as last night was so horrible., I assume horrible today also, so got right to WC... after the 2 back to back I'm waiting about an Hr? Then will test... Test all or just nitrate?
Is it a sign my tank was cycled and it's doing a mini cycle or just its ending the cycle with ammo 0 and nitrite 0 and then the huge nitrate..?
Obviously there's enough BB to convert my ammo to 0 within 24 hrs if it was 0 before my gravel vacc today..

Just blurting it all out there cause I want the best for these guys

ocminpin said:
OMGGGGG!! For the first time in 3 days my new Platy girl Trixie has her color SUDDENLY coming in after 2 B2B PWC... She was dull colored and my male was bright...
MAGICALLY she has red on top fin and dark black striped twin bars that were pencil thin before...red markings on belly and side... Just like my male... Wow didn't realize how quickly it could make such a huge difference!
The molly Juvie's are darting everywhere playing and tumbling...

That's great!! Amazing what fresh water does. :D

ocminpin said:
No not yet as last night was so horrible., I assume horrible today also, so got right to WC... after the 2 back to back I'm waiting about an Hr? Then will test... Test all or just nitrate?
Is it a sign my tank was cycled and it's doing a mini cycle or just its ending the cycle with ammo 0 and nitrite 0 and then the huge nitrate..?
Obviously there's enough BB to convert my ammo to 0 within 24 hrs if it was 0 before my gravel vacc today..

Just blurting it all out there cause I want the best for these guys

You can test the nitrate and pH. The ammonia and nitrite will be 0 because your tank is cycled and you've just done massive PWC. The ammonia (if I remember correctly), may be little high because your tap water has some but nothing you BB can't handle.

ocminpin said:
I hadn't gotten my kit yet and I wrongly assumed bright sparkly water meant it was great.. Sigh..
All better now ;-)

Yes! You've picked up on it now so that's good! (y) for the future IMO it would be a good idea to drip acclimate new fish so they have time to get use to the higher nitrate levels in your tanks from your tap water.

Mumma.of.two said:
Yes! You've picked up on it now so that's good! (y) for the future IMO it would be a good idea to drip acclimate new fish so they have time to get use to the higher nitrate levels in your tanks from your tap water.

Will I be able to get my nitrate levels at 20 or less and keep them that way? Or will 20 basically be as low as ill be able to go because my out of tap reading is 20?
Ill have to look up drip acclimation... It's probably why my new fish always looked sad for the first 24-36 hrs

ocminpin said:
Will I be able to get my nitrate levels at 20 or less and keep them that way? Or will 20 basically be as low as ill be able to go because my out of tap reading is 20?
Ill have to look up drip acclimation... It's probably why my new fish always looked sad for the first 24-36 hrs

20 is basically your 0. The only way to get it any lower is to have heaps of plants to consume it. 20s not bad but is a little high. Your fish will be happy and healthy at 20 so nothing to worry about. You will just need to up your water change schedule to keep them low.

ocminpin said:
Trixie & Vixen say THANK YOU MUMMA! :)

Your very welcome! :)

20g that had the B2B PWC....

Ph- 7.6 (same)
Am- (unable to read till later when I get bottle un stuck!)
Nirite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 80 ppm (gone down from 160+)

Should I do another PWC tonight or wait till tomorrow and do another B2B or do 2 tomorrow..

ocminpin said:
20g that had the B2B PWC....

Ph- 7.6 (same)
Am- (unable to read till later when I get bottle un stuck!)
Nirite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 80 ppm (gone down from 160+)

Should I do another PWC tonight or wait till tomorrow and do another B2B or do 2 tomorrow..

It's up to you. They have been through 2 already so I'd wait till morning. 80ppm is much better than 160! :) It won't harm them if you wait over night.

Mumma.of.two said:
It's up to you. They have been through 2 already so I'd wait till morning. 80ppm is much better than 160! :) It won't harm them if you wait over night.

I'll WAIT!! :)
I have the 29g PWC's to do...
I completed 20g & 10g... Testing 10g in a bit...

Back
Top Bottom