Aqua-Clear 300 not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pugwinkle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I hate having to unplug my Aqua-clear filters when I do a water change cuz often they won't start up again when I plug them in. Usually when that happens (pretty much every second time I do a water change) I clean the entire filter housing and I remove the motor so I can clean the impeller and I take a q-tip and get any gunk out from inside where the impeller sits.

Well this morning I did a water change on my 65 gallon and no matter how much I cleaned the motor out it just won't start again.

I usually suggest a small bottle-brush to clean out the impeller well, as they are more efficient, and will not leave any bits of cotton behind. That being said, did you make sure the motor and impeller were cool before trying to start-up? If your AC300 is more than a year old, have you checked for uneven wear on the impeller shaft recently? Will the impeller start up if you reach in and give it an initial 'flick' with your fingertip?

Toirtis said:
I usually suggest a small bottle-brush to clean out the impeller well, as they are more efficient, and will not leave any bits of cotton behind. That being said, did you make sure the motor and impeller were cool before trying to start-up? If your AC300 is more than a year old, have you checked for uneven wear on the impeller shaft recently? Will the impeller start up if you reach in and give it an initial 'flick' with your fingertip?

Hey there! The filter was very much cooled down before I attempted to start it. I think the water change took me almost an hour. As for uneven wear on the impeller shaft I have no idea. It looks just fine to me. I don't think the impeller is going to start by giving it a flick with my fingertip as I don't think the problem is the impeller so much as the fact that the motor doesn't start at all. How would the impeller start moving if the motor won't start? Does the impeller start the motor?!?!?? Forgive my ignorance but I just don't understand.

The motor doesn't 'start' so much, as it is a magnetically driven unit with little to no moving parts. Try nudging the impeller a few times with your finger to get it spinning.

Toirtis said:
The motor doesn't 'start' so much, as it is a magnetically driven unit with little to no moving parts. Try nudging the impeller a few times with your finger to get it spinning.

Whew! I'm so glad you explained that to me. I had no idea that there were little to no moving parts. I will give the impeller a bit of a nudge and see if that does the trick. Luckily I had an extra AC300 sitting in my closet just waiting for a problem like this to occur so the tank is well filtered again. I will check it out again tomorrow. I just spent the day cleaning it up in a vinegar/water mixture so the filter looks like new now. I just hope I can get the darn thing to work again.

If I do get it working again, is it okay to put it away for another rainy day when I have another problem or should I put it right back in the tank and put the new one back in the box?

Back
Top Bottom