Aqua-Flow 100 filter in new tank - making strange noises help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

13wynton

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi we gave my daughter a small aquarium for Christmas which came complete with an aqua-flow 100 fliter. After about a week the filter started to make erratic noises, the flow of the water also became less even and the base of the filter cartridge started to foam. On closer investigation I determined that I might have cracked a small part of the out-flow pipe attachment and after a chat with the supplier brought a replacement unit. This time I have not added the out-flow 'sprinkler' pipe and found the fish happier to swim around the filter than previously. One week on and this filter is also making eratic noises and the waterflow is not steady & there is foam - an exact repeat of our previous problems, and the fish are obviously not happy.
There is nothing in the instructions and the suppliers website gives no information.
Can anyone give any clues as to why this is happening & what I should do?
thanks!

Could it be possible it sucked up a fish? I don't have experience with your filter.

Do you have any sand in the tank? It could be that sand is plugging up the filter. I had that problem.

A sand or maybe a pests snail? Have you got some live plants? They may be some small pests snails you won't see during the day that will come into the filter to lay some eggs...

thanks - it was a blocked filter! - another question though...

thanks for your advice, the filter had indeed become blocked. After a good clean it is working again.:fish1:

I was wondering if you might help answer another question? we have brown powder-like substance appearing on many of the live plant leaves. is there anything I can do to prevent this?:fish2:

It is diatoms. It is common in new Aquariums. It will go away on it's own.

13wynton said:
thanks for your advice, the filter had indeed become blocked. After a good clean it is working again.:fish1:

I was wondering if you might help answer another question? we have brown powder-like substance appearing on many of the live plant leaves. is there anything I can do to prevent this?:fish2:

Yes it is very common in newly established aquariums you could turn off your light it can help feed it and make it spread if you have a constant light on over your tank. Or why not try to dim the light so there won't be a large amount of it. Also over feeding can contribute to the grow of it so try to make sure you don't leave excess food in the tank.

Well good luck hope it goes away for yuh :)

Back
Top Bottom