Aqua mom needs help with a ballast....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CajunAngelFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 48" 40 watt aquarium hood light combo. The light quit working last Monday. Well, only the ends lit up slighty. I bought a new bulb. It did the same thing. So, it's not the bulb. How about the ballast? I've searched the internet for a S40BP with no avail. Everyone is out of stock. I've left my hall light on during the day so that my fish can get some light. Today, my husband took the ballast out, put it back in, replaced the starter and the bulb... and now nothing, not even a slight glow on the end. He said he heard a pop sound. So, what gives? Was the ballast working, then there was a pop sound, and now it doesn't work? How on earth am I going to get a new S40BP ballast? Is there anything comparable? Help! My figh need light!

Welcome to AA!
You should be able to just go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a standard 40w fluorescent ballast. They carry both magnetic and electronic ballasts since they are very common items.

Fish need 'some' light. The hall light should be enough for the few days until you repair the fixture.

Like Larry said, try HomeDepot or Lowes. You can also try a local electrical supply house.

welcometoaa.gif

hmmm, i dont think its the ballasts.
maybe u can try replacing the starter.

i got the same problem with one of my hood. only the end of the tube light up, at first i tho it was the tube, after replacing the tube, it did the same. so i replace the starter and it solve the problem.

Ballasts are rated for wattage, not bulb diameter, which is what the "T" rating means.
T12 - 1 1/2" diameter
T10 - 1 1/4" diameter
T9 - 1 1/8" diameter
T8 - 1" diameter
T6 - 3/4" diameter
T5 - 1/2" diameter

dont sweat the part number, just search for a t8 ballast. 2 bulb? you will get plenty of choices.

Back
Top Bottom