Aquac remora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malang

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought an Aquac Remora Protein Skimmer with a Rio800 pump. It's been a week and it still hasn't collected a cup of waste. Do I wait longer for the so called "break-in process" or return the skimmer?

i've had mine running in mine for close to a month now and it doesn't collect much, i guess my filters are cleaning the water well, at the same time its only a small 26 gallon so it shouldn't take much to keep clean

it's junk. that's the reason you aren't collecting any waste.
trust me, i've ran one of these for about 7 months. return it if you can. buy an octopus HOB.

Regardless of whether or not it worked or didn't work for Mr X, it'll work if you have anything to skim. It might not work as well as other skimmers out there, but it'll work.

How long has the tank been set up? Is there even any waste to collect? Where do you have the collection cup set at?

I have a 55 gallon tank with an 300 aquaclear filter with a sponge,carbon, and biomax bags inside. I also have two aquaclear 30 powerheads connected to a undergravel filter. The tank has been running for about 7 months, but I only have a yellow tang, a four striped damsel, a chocolate chip starfish, and snails.

I don't how to exactly answer that question. It's set at the factory setting with half of the cup exposed, but I have a drain fitting attachment that runs into a large container. The cup is barely half full and the container is empty.

That's why you're not skimming. You need to adjust that cup up and down, depending on how wet or dry you want to skim. There is no "factory setting". If you want more skimmate, push the cup farther down into the unit. Less skimmate... pull it higher up. Depending on what is going on in your tank, you'll need to adjust the height of the cup now and then.

the rubber band on the collection cup is holding it in place. you can raise and lower the cup to adjust it.

Right, I have the rubberband all the way at the top. So I guess its at max skimming.

i have the aqua c urchin and i love mine. I believe its similar to the remora. if there is nothing to skim it will still skim just a lot less. I am sure there are way better skimmers out there but less maintenance with decent production is better for me.

When production decreases i open the injector screw and clean out the inside. However, I dont think this is your problem. might just not be anything to skim

There is really nothing to mess with besides the cup height. It really is a plug and play skimmer.

I kind of had that idea but I wasn't sure. Thanks again for the help.

Right, I have the rubberband all the way at the top. So I guess its at max skimming.

But didn't you say...

It's set at the factory setting with half of the cup exposed

If half the cup is exposed, the rubberband isn't all the way at the top, so I'm kinda confused.

If the cup is down as far as it can go, you won't be able to see much of the cup at all.

What I meant to say was when it was installed straight out of the box the rubberband was nearly at the top. I waited for a couple days, didn't see any waste so I moved it closer to the top without making it fall off. Now the cup is barely visible, but its connected to a drain fitting and there barely isn't anything in my waste container either.

Back
Top Bottom