AquaClear 110

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garrup

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I finally saved up enough and bought an AquaClear 110 hang on power filter. I previously had pretty good luck with the "50" and "70" models, except of course with their brittle plastic which cracks so easily. Anyway, when i received the 110, i easily set it up and plugged it in. Well did i get a surprise, it was so loud i thought it would explode.
I removed it and dissassembled it to see what was the problem. There were no signs of missing or flawed parts. At least no obvious signs. And i am familiar with the Aquaclear design with experience going way back over the years. I tried reassembling and running the unit several times without luck. The loud noise continued.
I had noticed right from the beginning that the impellor unit fit very deeply into the motor housing. So deep that the impellor appeared like it might rub on the housing. But i figured Hagen would not release a unit so badly designed and that i must be wrong. Well, after many tries it appeared that was indeed the case. The impellor was rubbing on the top of its motor housing.
I contacted Hagen/Canada and they refused to have anything to do with it. They would not even apologize let alone send me a replacement part. So much for this giant corporation. I'll no longer buy from them.
But this is an expensive product, so i had to find a way to tackle the problem myself. If the impellor unit was to long for the motor shaft, i reasoned that a spacer or washer dropped into the shaft might hold the impellor up higher and it would not rub. I tried this and it worked. No rub, no noise. But i am now faced with the insecurity of waiting for the impellor shaft to wear through my makeshift spacer and self destruct.
Shame on Hagen for not standing behind their product. I wonder how many faulty units were released on the unsuspecting public.

Why tackle it yourself, return it.

My 110 doesnt do that, infact its not even 6' away and I cant hear it at all.

Sorry to hear about you're troubles with Hagen I would suggest you call and try again if they still refuse demand to talk to a superior and keep ding it until you get the problem resolved. There is no excuse for a company like Hagen not to stand by a product. Where did you purchase the unit? Instead of using a metal washer I would try to find a plastic shim or collar that way there won't be a chance of it wearing on the shaft.

I've never had a problem with Hagen or ACs. I have an AC 110 that has been a silent champ for over a year. How did you contact them exactly? They've been very responsive when I've had questions or issues.

The 110 was purchased (new) from an internet aquarium supply site. The Hagen site i contacted was their Canada office. They would not stand behind their warranty because the impellor (so they said) was not included in the warranty ! Its a brand new product that doesn't work, and they won't stand behind it. I won't send it back to the retail source because of the expense of the shipping costs which will fall on me. Hagen AquaClear filters, as you all know, are very brittle and this thing is packed in a HUGE box. So its easier for me to gerry-rig it into working than to go through the trouble and expense of getting a replacement - which may end up being another just as bad.

Even if the impeller isnt covered under the warranty that is a blatant manufacturing flaw and should be taken care of by the manufacturer.

Never known them to be brittle (or faulty in anyway) and I've owned many. Did you contact the site you purchased it from?

Thanks for the tip, Razorback. I really need to find some sort of plastic or vinyl shim to put in there. I'm worried about the metal one wearing into the bottom of the impellor and eventually shattering it.
And i'm still amazed that Hagen would pull something like this.

Back
Top Bottom