AquaClear 110 "Flow Control" Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
Those of you familiar with the AquaClear line of HOB's will recall the adjustable return flow lever on the tops of the units, allowing the user to supposedly adjust the flow speed -- however, since the day I had my 110, I have noticed that no matter which way I position the switch, the flow doesn't really change all that much into my tank. In so doing, I simply left the switch in the maximum output position for max flow...

What made me revisit this topic recently was the fact that my one Black Moor goldfish (a small young one) in my cycling 60 gallon has had a hard time with the current being put out from the 110 and during feeding can't seem to follow or grab the flakes fast enough when they're being pushed from the flow of this filter -- thus, I experimented again today with lowering the flow to its "minimum" position. However, still, I cannot see a difference between the minimum flow position and the maximum in terms of water return pressure -- is this normal on the AC's? If not, is it possible I don't have the u-shaped intake pipe installed right into the motor/impeller area?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can lend any insight...

I can only tell a small difference when I adjust my aqua clear 70's. There have been a few threads started in here showing how other users have showed the output flow odd their Aquaclears. Might try doing a search if you have not already.

I can only tell a small difference when I adjust my aqua clear 70's. There have been a few threads started in here showing how other users have showed the output flow odd their Aquaclears. Might try doing a search if you have not already.

Hey Rhino,

Thanks for the reply; indeed, perhaps what I am seeing is normal then -- the flow isn't really "dramatically reduced" like Hagen would have you believe...and, perhaps because my 110 is so powerful, the reduced output is even less apparent. Either way, it doesn't really "slow" the output return down enough for the feeding to be easier for the fish like I hoped...

How do you think I should run the filter then -- wide open at max output, in the middle or at minimum flow?

I had two of the Aquaclear 70's on a 36 bowfront, which is a rather deep tank and I always ran mine as low as possible to maximize contact time with my bio media. You could always put something on the output, like a small piece of egg crate and I imagine that would help slow all the movement in the tank quite a bit.

Have a look at this thread. There's a link in there for a way to slow the flow on the AC filter. It might be an option. Page 3 post #26

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/aquaclear-tips-and-tricks-212610.html

Thanks cw...

I've actually visited this thread when I was Googling this subject one day; the most interesting post came from Library Girl (not sure if that's the specific one you guided me to) who said:

The AC's are great filters but personally I find the flow to be high, even on the lowest setting, and it causes (at least for me) a lot of microbubbles in the tank which made the water look cloudy and frustrated me, so I added a filter pad to the outflow of the filter, so the water runs down through the pad into the tank: How to get rid of those tiny bubbles from HOB filters The pad will get dirty very quickly so I change it out every few weeks or so.

Now keep in mind this will reduce splashing and therefore possibly oxygen exchange; I also run a separate canister filter and an air stone. If you use this method with just the AC keep an eye on your fish to ensure they aren't gasping at the top.

Funny thing is, I find the exact same thing about the AquaClear as she did -- that the water return causes microbubbles (even on its lowest setting) in the tank which in turn makes the water appear somewhat cloudy; couple this with the bubble bars already running in my tank, and my water never looks 100 percent "transparent." I, too, find the flow to be too high at minimum output -- however, I'm wondering if it's just how I have the u-shaped tube connected...

But wouldn't I get NO flow at all if something wasn't installed right at the intake level?

I had two of the Aquaclear 70's on a 36 bowfront, which is a rather deep tank and I always ran mine as low as possible to maximize contact time with my bio media.

I was always confused regarding this tactic -- according to Hagen, by running the filter at its lowest output rate, the water is actually filtered more and more times per hour based on how it's coming in contact with the media. But then, if you read other owners' experiences with these HOB's, they will say you have to run them wide open/at full max output, so I never knew how to run mine...

All I know is that even on its minimum output, my 110 doesn't reduce to the point that the flow is perfect for comfortable feeding or decreased internal splashing -- it's a very minimal difference, if at all, from max to min flow, much like what I gather you experience with your 70 models...do you recommend I just keep my 110 at the lowest flow output (all the way to the right on that knob)?

Do you have any pics of your setup from the filter perspective?

Thanks cw...

I've actually visited this thread when I was Googling this subject one day; the most interesting post came from Library Girl (not sure if that's the specific one you guided me to) who said:

Funny thing is, I find the exact same thing about the AquaClear as she did -- that the water return causes microbubbles (even on its lowest setting) in the tank which in turn makes the water appear somewhat cloudy; couple this with the bubble bars already running in my tank, and my water never looks 100 percent "transparent." I, too, find the flow to be too high at minimum output -- however, I'm wondering if it's just how I have the u-shaped tube connected...

But wouldn't I get NO flow at all if something wasn't installed right at the intake level?

yep that was the same post I was referring to. I'm running the AC50 on my 25 gal which I'm currently doing a fishless cycle on.

Even with the flow at the lowest setting, I get quite a few bubbles too. As soon as my cycle is done and I add some stock to the tank, I might do the mod in the link to slow down the flow a bit if I get too many bubbles. Just have to wait and see I guess.

Gotcha.

Do you find the flow to be pretty strong even at minimum setting for the output?

ArtesiaWells said:
Gotcha.

Do you find the flow to be pretty strong even at minimum setting for the output?

On my 50 there is a visible difference in how fast the water flows out of the filter when you slide the tube from + to -. It's not a lot but you can see it. Even on low there's a lot of movement but not a lot less bubbles. Some of that is because I have the tank water level lower right now to help with my cycle so I'm getting more splash.

On my 50 there is a visible difference in how fast the water flows out of the filter when you slide the tube from + to -. It's not a lot but you can see it. Even on low there's a lot of movement but not a lot less bubbles. Some of that is because I have the tank water level lower right now to help with my cycle so I'm getting more splash.

So is it possible that because I have the top-of-the-line 110 model, the flow would be even less distinct when going from + to -, given the power of this filter's motor?

If that's the case, should I leave the knob at full, halfway or minimum output in your opinion? Where do you keep yours -- at max output?

ArtesiaWells said:
So is it possible that because I have the top-of-the-line 110 model, the flow would be even less distinct when going from + to -, given the power of this filter's motor?

If that's the case, should I leave the knob at full, halfway or minimum output in your opinion? Where do you keep yours -- at max output?

I can't really say on the 110 model and in fact my current 25 gallon tank is the first tank I've owned in almost 30 years. My old tank was a 55 gallon long and it ran with a UG filter with a powerhead. So I guess I'm a newbie with HOB filters .

Right now I'm running mine on the highest setting to help my cycle get kick started. When my cycle is complete I'm going to try different settings and see how it works.

Right now I'm running mine on the highest setting to help my cycle get kick started. When my cycle is complete I'm going to try different settings and see how it works.

That's interesting -- because I am cycling as well, I'm wondering now if I should have the 110 on max flow output...however, according to Hagen, these filters actually filter more water per hour if they're left on the lowest flow setting, so the whole thing is just so ridiculously confusing...:blink: :banghead: :banghead:

That's interesting -- because I am cycling as well, I'm wondering now if I should have the 110 on max flow output...however, according to Hagen, these filters actually filter more water per hour if they're left on the lowest flow setting, so the whole thing is just so ridiculously confusing...:blink: :banghead: :banghead:

That info from Hagen makes sense. They make the filter and know. The reason I have mine on max flow is because I read in one of the stickies (tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle) that it's good to crank up the filter to get some increased agitation.

I started my fishless cycle on June 13th and was having some difficulity with my tank processing the ammonia. It was moving very very slow trying to process the 4 ppm doses. On advice from member jlk who's been helping me and many others, I did a 100% water change and dosing only to 2 ppm this time. We'll see how it goes and move up the dosage from there when the cycle kicks in.

I'm also seriously considering adding some seeded active filters from Angels Plus. The price is reasonable and hey, if it speeds things up I'm all for it :)

Sponge Filters for aquariums

That info from Hagen makes sense. They make the filter and know.

How does it make sense, though, if reducing the flow creates more filtration per hour? :eek:

Well, at any rate, I am going to consider some insight that was offered to me from another forum: Why buy an HOB as powerful as the AquaClear series models and NOT run it at maximum filtration? That to me is a good argument for keeping the filter at 100 percent flow output -- THAT IS, assuming Hagen wasn't spot-on with their figures of the water being better filtered at a LOWER setting...:blink::hide::banghead:

ArtesiaWells said:
How does it make sense, though, if reducing the flow creates more filtration per hour? :eek:

Well, at any rate, I am going to consider some insight that was offered to me from another forum: Why buy an HOB as powerful as the AquaClear series models and NOT run it at maximum filtration? That to me is a good argument for keeping the filter at 100 percent flow output -- THAT IS, assuming Hagen wasn't spot-on with their figures of the water being better filtered at a LOWER setting...:blink::hide::banghead:

It all has to do with contact time with the filter media I think. Other wise it just blows the water in and out it barely has time for contact. That's the only thing I think they could be referencing.

Rhino said:
It all has to do with contact time with the filter media I think. Other wise it just blows the water in and out it barely has time for contact. That's the only thing I think they could be referencing.

That makes sense. Water is physically moving slower through the filter at a lower setting and taking longer to pass up through the media so it gets filtered more. On the other hand you're not passing as many gallons per hour through the filter as you are with higher settings.

That being said, if you are running a larger filter on a smaller tank like I am with my 50 on a 25 gallon tank. I still think that even with a lower setting I'm still able to pass my 25 gallons through there pretty quick and get the benefit of better filtration with the lower setting.

Who knows? Confusing to say the least. I guess if the waters clear then everything is good.

I don't know, fellas; the whole ordeal is odd and confusing to me -- I suppose I can just leave the filter at wide open and max output for now, even though my little Black Moor does seem to be getting moved around a bit from it...:eek:

My wife brought home some more plants (artificial) and a tree stump decoration from Petsmart when she went earlier to pick up some cans of food for our dog, and so our aquascaping continues in the 60 gallon -- all the stirring up of the gravel to get this stuff in caused the water to go cloudy again, however, so I'm letting the 110 run full blast to try and get some of the water cleaned out quickly...

We put the "tree stump" piece towards the left of the tank, with taller plants behind it and some small ones "popping up" from holes within it in front, and so this was a nice welcome "natural decor" element...however, I just don't know if this layout is going to come together the way I want looking at it now...we have the tree stump piece on the left side with tall plants and the Chinese "temple" decoration on the right side of the tank, with some cut-up pieces of Marineland's "plant mat" near it to immitate a "Chinese garden"; yet, I don't know if the Asian/natural theme is going to work as a hybrid...and I don't know what we're going to use as a central focal point for the tank (I'm thinking log caves/formations) and what kinds of plants to put around that...

That's a whole new thread, though...:blink::blink::blink::banghead:

Hi Artesia,

I have an AC-50 on a 29-gallon. When new, I remember it making a lot of micro bubbles. Give your filter some time to buid up slime in its internal housing and the bubbles will lessen.

As for the flow, there's very little difference between the min/max output. Try feeding at the farthest point from the output.

It's one heck of a filter, and I wouldn't trade it for any other HOB filter.

David

If the filter is on the lowest setting, the water gets filtered at the same speed, but it is recycled from the end of the filter "basket" and then it is sucked back into the intake from the part of the pump that is not covered by the intake tube. This means that water is being sent through the media at the same rate, but it is being recycled through the media leaving the water with less ammonia with each pass. But, each time the water goes through it has less ammonia than before, so the bacteria are going to be converting the ammonia less and less with each pass. So if the filter is set to 50% intake, for example, then half of the water is from the tank, and would be full of ammonia, and the other half would have much less ammonia. So running the filter at maximum flow, the water that is getting filtered would have more ammonia than the average of the water when set to the lowest setting, therefore running the filter at maximum flow would be the best option. Plus, the mechanical media will be filtering more water with particles in it on full flow.

Back
Top Bottom