AquaClear (110) Flow Control Valve Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
Those of you familiar with Hagen's line of coveted AquaClear HOB filters will know of the "flow control valve" that sits atop the intake stem when you put the filter together, and which is supposed to control the flow output of returning water...in practice, I have found, on my 110 model at least, that this doesn't actually control anything. If I keep the flow control at the "minimum" flow (going towards the "-" indicator), the flow is reduced maybe just a tad bit...but nothing that would make one say "Wow! Look at that! Much different!"

At any rate, because my fancy goldfish tend to be blown around my 60 gallon from anything resembling a current, I have been trying to reduce whatever turbulence I can including lowering the output of the bubble bars via the Top Fin pump's control wheel to keeping the AquaClear's return flow valve at minimum output -- the other HOB I run on this setup, an Aqueon QuietFlow 55, doesn't have a flow control feature -- but my question is this: Is it okay to leave the AquaClear 110's flow control on its minimum output? Will this affect filtration, ultimately, in any way? I have read, and have gotten into discussions with enthusiasts, about some theory that when the flow of these HOBs is reduced, the filtration is actually maximized because the water is flowing through the box slower, thus allowing more fine debris to be pulled up...is this true?

Further -- I don't really see a flow difference, as I have said, between maximum and minimum output on this HOB when moving its valve around, but being that I wanted to reduce turbulence and agitation in the tank I decided to bring the control down to minimum in the slight chance it is making a difference with pushing the fish around too much; is this okay to run the filter on the low return position?

That's perfectly fine to leave it at the lower flow it's actually better for it for thae exact reason that you already stated. The water has more time to go through the cleaning process therefore you get cleaner water. I have two AC70's on my 60 gallon tank and they keep the water crystal clear. I just added the second one this weekend and let me tell you WOW what a difference in water clarity.l I leave my AC's on low flow all the time your supposed to run it on high for the first minute to get it to flow right and to max out for a bit then put it on low.

The other good thing about these filters, also I only use AC's in ALL MY TANKS, is that you can change out the filter media however you choose. I don't run carbon becuase it's useless unless your taking medication out of the water you don't need it. I run two sponges and Bio media in one and one sponge, two bio media, and another smaller water polishing pad in the other. I bought media bags at PetSmart for $.99 now I can buy whatever media I want doesn't have to be Fluval and I use it if it benefits my tank. AC's are by far the best HOB filters available, that's just my opinion though lol.

I can never tell the difference either way. I don't even know what there on now TBO.

Indeed, D; I don't really see any difference -- as I indicated in the original post -- when the valve is on minimum or on maximum...it seems to pump the same amount of water out, which is very strange...

Indeed, D; I don't really see any difference -- as I indicated in the original post -- when the valve is on minimum or on maximum...it seems to pump the same amount of water out, which is very strange...

Yup! I stopped wondering why a long time ago lol. As long as its flowing I'm happy and so are my misfits :fish2:

Yup! I stopped wondering why a long time ago lol. As long as its flowing I'm happy and so are my misfits :fish2:

I think Yogi was on to something, though, about my initial feelings regarding leaving the filter set to the "lowest" flow output; seems if it's set this way -- and Hagen confirms this through their literature accompanying the filters -- more water is getting to be filtered through the media basket at a slower rate, making for reportedly clearer water. While I don't see much of a difference either way, as we have been discussing, it makes me a bit more comfortable knowing the goldies aren't being blown around, perhaps, so hard if the AC's return flow is even a LITTLE less on that end of the tank...:eek::nono::blink:

The flow rate difference is going to be minimal when you go from low to high but if you think about it increasing water flow even a little bit can cause a big difference in gallons per hour. We look at the amount of water flowing on high and low and we say that's not a big difference but how much water is flowing through the course of a day, week, or even a month how many more gallons would circulate through that filter? But like stated before its not the amount of gallons but how well those gallons are being cleaned and these AC's perform at optimum levels being on the lowest flow rate.

The flow rate difference is going to be minimal when you go from low to high but if you think about it increasing water flow even a little bit can cause a big difference in gallons per hour. We look at the amount of water flowing on high and low and we say that's not a big difference but how much water is flowing through the course of a day, week, or even a month how many more gallons would circulate through that filter? But like stated before its not the amount of gallons but how well those gallons are being cleaned and these AC's perform at optimum levels being on the lowest flow rate.

I agree with everything you said expect the last part. I've spoken with the techs several times on the flow rating and other concerns I've had over the years with this filters. The Aqua Clear 110 is designed to perform just a well either way.

Higher or lower is so minimal that it doesn't make a difference. This is coming from techs from the company. I do however understand what your saying and yes it makes sense BUT to say the AC' perform at optimum levels being on the lowest flow rate is false.

I agree with everything you said expect the last part. I've spoken with the techs several times on the flow rating and other concerns I've had over the years with this filters. The Aqua Clear 110 is designed to perform just a well either way.

Higher or lower is so minimal that it doesn't make a difference. This is coming from techs from the company. I do however understand what your saying and yes it makes sense BUT to say the AC' perform at optimum levels being on the lowest flow rate is false.

That's interesting, is this just with the 110? or is it with all the AC's? Because I have heard that the 110 has a very powerful motor and that it doesn't really make a difference on it. I've never needed one that big so I've never seen one being used on a tank.

That's interesting, is this just with the 110? or is it with all the AC's? Because I have heard that the 110 has a very powerful motor and that it doesn't really make a difference on it. I've never needed one that big so I've never seen one being used on a tank.

I can only speak for the 110 as its the only one I've used. I've had numerous conversations because I did question a few things but the techs assured me so I'm comfortable with there responses to my questions. Also my tank water is pristine and haven't had any issues. Well... I'm battling ich right now but that's not the filters fault.

It's a great filter for the price. I'm very happy with them. I wasn't thrilled with customer service a week or so back but that was corrected. They even send you replacement parts for free.

Wait a minute, fellas, wait a minute...

Is it the conclusion, now, that the flow control valve on the ACs should NOT be kept all the way over to minimum?

Hagen even states, in the instruction manuals accompanying their filters, that by reducing the flow, more water is filtered in the media basket...:blink:

Wait a minute, fellas, wait a minute...

Is it the conclusion, now, that the flow control valve on the ACs should NOT be kept all the way over to minimum?

Hagen even states, in the instruction manuals accompanying their filters, that by reducing the flow, more water is filtered in the media basket...:blink:

Your correct that more water will enter the the basket BUT however it doesn't change how "well" the filter works as far as filtering the water.

Here's the link. If you have doubts you can speak with a tech

http://usa.hagen.com/contactus

I've been using these filters for years. Always on the "high" setting. I never see a difference really in flow rate either way. And my tank is crystal clear. I firmly believe that the system is designed to work and filter your tank water just as good on either setting low or high. As you can see there isn't a significant difference between the two.

Your correct that more water will enter the the basket BUT however it doesn't change how "well" the filter works as far as filtering the water.

That seems to be in direct contradiction to what I have been told and what I have read on nearly countless sites; at any rate, I can reach out to them if the matter was pressing enough, I understand.

I've been using these filters for years. Always on the "high" setting. I never see a difference really in flow rate either way. And my tank is crystal clear. I firmly believe that the system is designed to work and filter your tank water just as good on either setting low or high. As you can see there isn't a significant difference between the two.

Oh, I'm not saying that by keeping the flow adjust at maximum the water WON'T or WOULDN'T be crystal-clear; indeed I am sure your water is pristine at the high output setting. It's just that I am questioning, as we have been discussing, the possibility of the water being filtered even more thoroughly at the lowest setting as, according to Hagen's literature included with the products and a plethora of comments online, the water has more of a chance to be recirculated through the media box/basket...

That seems to be in direct contradiction to what I have been told and what I have read on nearly countless sites; at any rate, I can reach out to them if the matter was pressing enough, I understand.

Oh, I'm not saying that by keeping the flow adjust at maximum the water WON'T or WOULDN'T be crystal-clear; indeed I am sure your water is pristine at the high output setting. It's just that I am questioning, as we have been discussing, the possibility of the water being filtered even more thoroughly at the lowest setting as, according to Hagen's literature included with the products and a plethora of comments online, the water has more of a chance to be recirculated through the media box/basket...

While what your last statement may be true in a sense, at the higher setting I'm sure it's doing its job. With the media available, the poly floss etc. I have no doubt any setting would be just fine. But I do understand what your saying though.

So, is there anyone who could add to the AquaClear discussion Convict and I are having regarding the flow control on these HOBs? Essentially, is it "okay" that I keep the flow on mine turned to the minimum to reduce the return flow turbulence for my fancy goldfish...and will this negatively affect filtration? :hide:

So, is there anyone who could add to the AquaClear discussion Convict and I are having regarding the flow control on these HOBs? Essentially, is it "okay" that I keep the flow on mine turned to the minimum to reduce the return flow turbulence for my fancy goldfish...and will this negatively affect filtration? :hide:

I know you asked for others to chime in lol. But the answer is... It will not effect your filtration negatively :)

Back
Top Bottom