Aquaclear 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuietPlotter

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's making a really wierd noise. I dissasembled and cleaned it. Twice. Like it's priming, yet way quieter. It's almost like a shaking noise.

Anyone had this happen? I will make a youtube vid.

QP

I've got 3 brand new, just out of the boxes, making rattling noise. One is really bad similar to your video. I tried calling the company today only to get dead ended with an error message. So, I went on their website to submit a question. I'll let you know what I hear back.

My penguin 100 was loud like that when I first got it. Unless the impeller was in the "perfect spot" it made a grinding sound, and it rarely stayed in that spot. Eventually I put some pure, unscented vaseline on the impeller. It didn't have much effect to begin with but a day or so later it went silent and hasn't made a sound since.

I'm not aware of anything you can do to make it quiet other than lubricate it, but lubricating seems to work. I haven't seen any evidence of an oil slick or anything from it. Vaseline doesn't seem to be able to mix with the water in any way.

miles said:
My penguin 100 was loud like that when I first got it. Unless the impeller was in the "perfect spot" it made a grinding sound, and it rarely stayed in that spot. Eventually I put some pure, unscented vaseline on the impeller. It didn't have much effect to begin with but a day or so later it went silent and hasn't made a sound since.

I'm not aware of anything you can do to make it quiet other than lubricate it, but lubricating seems to work. I haven't seen any evidence of an oil slick or anything from it. Vaseline doesn't seem to be able to mix with the water in any way.

I'll give that a try! Thanks.

Ah. Vaseline is safe for limited aquatic use, yes. I will try this after I get home today! Meanwhile, did it work for you?

I had gravel in my aquaclear 110 before, making a loose rattling sound, but not really a grinding noise. Took it apart and cleaned it twice, helped a little but the noise was still there. Few days later, the sound vanished and all was good.
Sound doesn't work on this computer, so can't view your video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put the Vaseline on my noisiest one and.......WOW! That got rid of the rattling. It is almost silent now!! Thanks Miles! Hope this works for QP as well!!

Several of my HOB filters made a rattling noise when they were new, after they built up a little film on the impeller magnet and shaft they quieted down. They make the noise after cleaning for a few days also. I just don't clean the magnet or impeller sump when I maintenance them and they stay quiet. the vaseline is doing the same thing as a little bio film.

I did petroleum jelly, vaseline is 100% PJ based... No. It was a teeny bit quieter at first... Nope.

I'm getting desperate, this randomly started. How long until a bio film develops?

Moving the hob intake up.and down seems to solve my rattle problems.

Just lubed the hellenism (what?) out of the impeller and motor...

It just won't shut up. It was working perfectly until saturday....

I'm at the end of my wits

Start a small camp fire.
Place your aq30 gently into the flames and buy a fluval u2 or 3.

I have heard mixed reviews... Aquaclear is good though.

U have a couple running and a couple hob marineland. They make noise when prop isn't aligned rt or there is air in the intake. I would bounce intake tube up.and down to wrk out air and rattle prop into place. It Wrks for.me.

Back
Top Bottom