Aquaclear 300 filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 aquaclear 300 filters. One on each tank that I own. When I use the foam filter blocks that are made for the filter everything is ok. I purchased a large bag of filter fiber to use instead to try to save some money. The filter works ok in the beginning but eventually the piece of the filter that holds the filter fiber and carbon rises up and pushes the filter cover up on one side. I have to push it down then it comes back up in a few minutes. Sometimes it effects the intake tube and I don't get the right flow of water coming in. Does anyone know what is happening and what I can do about it? I might just have to buy the foam blocks made for the filter. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Jim

The media is coming up because it is clogged. Replace the filter floss. You only need a very thin layer of it to work well. In both of my Aquaclears, I use half a foam bloack, then a layer of floss, then a full foam block to hold the floss in place. If I am use carbon, that goes on top of the foam block.

You can just rinse out the filter blocks and keep recycling them, you should ony need to replace them when they literally start to disintegrate. I hear that takes years. On my Aquacears when the media basket starts to slip up on one side and push up the cover I take it as a sign that it's time to clean the box. The sides get slimy after a while. When I clean it out the media basket stays put again.

Grimlock - how much floss is enough? I just started running floss and put a layer in there of about 1 inch. Too much? Here's what I put in my ACs:

1" Hagen pre-filter media
Foam block
1" Floss
1/4-1/2" layer of crushed coral (my water is really soft)

I'd be curious to know what other recipes people use...

Thanks for the replies. I will have to buy some foam blocks and keep recycling them. For now I will try to clean out the inside of the filter and I think I have to use less floss. I put carbon bag and a bag that is supposed to take out nitrates on top of that. I really appreciate the advice. I would to hear about what other people put in their aquaclear filters.

I have used A/C filters for many years. I never use anything but the foam blocks in them. The blocks hardly need replacements at all. The oldest one I have (a 200) has been running with the same blocks for about 5 years now (my best guess). I just rinse them out weekly in old tank water when I do my pwc. There's no need to clean out the boxes nearly that often.
Another good thing about the blocks is that they are great for seeding new tanks.

I am going to buy the blocks and reuse them. One of my filters is starting to make a rattling noise. I'm guessing the impeller. Do you think if I replace the impeller that it might help?

I can never get my Aquaclears to be totally silent. In my experience they are noisier after a good cleaning and when they are brand new. They seem to "settle down" after a bit of un-interrupted operation. The only silent filter I've encountered are internal, but that's a host of other problems.

They also sell those ceramic noodle thingies to act as increased biological filter area. They come in a nylon mesh bag. I got some so I could really wash out my foam block good under tap water and not have to worry about killing off all my bacteria.

I have some ceramic noodles. I would just have to put them in a media bag. I will try that. Thanks!

Coarse foam as a prefilter then a layer of poly fiber floss and another block of a finer foam (tiny holes) if you can find it. This last layer of foam shouldnt get to dirty but will hold lots of bacteria.
Floss is the greatest. Great mechanical filtering. Because it does trap smaller particles than foam it will clog faster. I squeeze mine out every week during water changes.
Try giving the impeller and housing a good cleaning. If that doesnt quiet it down then try a new impeller.

You're right, you do need something to hold the stack down. After experimenting a little, I devised a "holder." Heres how to make it:

You will need:

1 - 1/4-20 Nylon Threaded Rod

2 - 1/4-20 Rod Coupling Nuts

2 - Comfort Grip Crochet Hook Covers

Cut the Nylon Threaded Rod into a piece the *just* barely doesn't fit diagonally from one corner of the Aquaclear filter chamber to the other. Now cut the piece in two off center, there should be a little piece and a big piece. Screw one piece halfway into one end of a Rod Coupling Nut, then the other piece into the other end. Pick out the two large Crochet Hook Covers from the pack, and insert each hook cover on each end of the Threaded Rod / Coupling Nut assembly. The resulting piece should look like this:

aqua_rod.gif

Make another one just like this. Insert them on top of your Aquaclear Media stack to form a "X." Now, on each of these assemblies, you can turn one end and tighten it! The Nylon Rod is also a little flexible so it will bend instead of your Aquaclear warping. The Crochet Hook Covers hold the Rods in place.

You can if you want put a little adhesive on one end of each of the assemblies and screw the adhesive end only a little bit into the Coupling Nut. Let dry before using, and this will give you more "tightening" length and make it easier to turn and tighten.

Here's my custom Aquaclear 300 Stack, from bottom to top:

1) About 1/2 cup Eheim Ehfimech, enough to make it about 2 "rings" deep.

2) Aquaclear 300 foam.

3) 1-1/3 cups Eheim Ehfisubstrat Pro in a 6x10 800 micron bag.

4) 1-1/3 cups Seachem Purigen in Seachem's The Bag.

5) The Threaded Rod assemblies holding it down.

In addition to this, I wrap a Fluval 104 Foam Block around the intake of the Aquaclear 300. I hold it in place with two rubber bands. This works as a great prefilter. Clean it every day, and it will keep the flow rate up and the dirt accumulation rate down inside the Aquaclear. It also is a safety measure for a fish getting stuck in the Aquaclear's intake suction.

This all sounds extremely complicated, however it really isn't. Once you put it together, it is surprisingly simple. Seachem Purigen is really an amazing thing to behold. This will make your tank look like there's no water in it and the fish are floating. It also lasts a lot longer than carbon, and doesn't absorb trace elements like carbon does.

Wow! Thanks for all the info. It sounded complicated, but you gave me links for everything I need. I will have to try it. I really appreciate all your time and info. I assume you are putting the rings in a bag or is that not necessary?

I don't put the rings in a bag, I just dump them into a strainer and rinse when I clean the filter. :wink:

Medusa Head I have been busy, but I just ordered all the items I needed from the links you gave me. I am going to try it on two aqauclear 300 filters. If I run into any problems I will ask your advice again. Thanks!
Jim :)

Back
Top Bottom