Aquaclear 50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce410

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will be getting an Aquaclear 50 and my LFS said that they wouldn't recommend sand substrate with an Aquaclear filter - only gravel. Is this true? Will it mess the filter up? I plan to be careful when cleaning.

What do you guys think?

Also, what do you guys think of the Aqueon PRO submersible heaters? (they're no glass and have aluminum core)

Thanks

I'm using an aqua clear on my sw tank with sand and haven't had any issues yet. I also don't have the stem that close to the substrate.

I'm using an aqua clear on my sw tank with sand and haven't had any issues yet. I also don't have the stem that close to the substrate.

i'm going to be using it on a 29g too. Did you just have the single stem on it or did you put the double stem on? I don't know how close it'll be yet.
Thanks for the help. I think they just wanted to sell me gravel for some reason.

I am running two AC 50's and don't have any problems with either in sand. Just put one intake tube on to keep it away from the sand. I'd also recommend putting the biomax or whatever they call it in a better media bag. I used the white bag they included (with the red tie) and it rotted away in a few months and dumped those little white things all over the bottom of my tank.

I'm using the two stems, I have a third but use it to brace the unit against the back of the tank. LOL

The only thing I did get in the stems was gunk from my live rock when I put the sand in. Theres some caught between the two where they connect.

And yes, unless you know your LFS real well take what they say with a grain of salt. Mine kept insisting I buy damsels to cycle with. And he told me to put 2 aqua clear 110's on my 29 gallon!! can u imagine? So check here first with your questions and then make your informed decision.

Are you going salt or fresh?

I have 2 aquaclear 50 in my 29 gallon tank with two stems each. I have sand too. Whenever I change water I just unplug the filters and leave the bubbler on.

Sent from my iPhone

I am running two AC 50's and don't have any problems with either in sand. Just put one intake tube on to keep it away from the sand. I'd also recommend putting the biomax or whatever they call it in a better media bag. I used the white bag they included (with the red tie) and it rotted away in a few months and dumped those little white things all over the bottom of my tank.

Great thanks! Yeah, the newer bio white ceramic things that I have are used with a plastic mesh type bag. still good?

I'm using the two stems, I have a third but use it to brace the unit against the back of the tank. LOL

The only thing I did get in the stems was gunk from my live rock when I put the sand in. Theres some caught between the two where they connect.

And yes, unless you know your LFS real well take what they say with a grain of salt. Mine kept insisting I buy damsels to cycle with. And he told me to put 2 aqua clear 110's on my 29 gallon!! can u imagine? So check here first with your questions and then make your informed decision.

Are you going salt or fresh?

I'm fresh. freshwater I mean. lol

also, since I have all of you in one place...

how much sand should I get for a 29g (30x12x18)? And what kind?

Also, is a 200W Ehiem Jager too much?

One 50lb bag of playsand or pool filter sand would work. I used Quickrete's premium playsand for my tanks and love it. Some people like a larger grain, which would be pool filter sand (you can get PFS at pool supply stores). Playsand I found at Homedepot for $3.48/50lb. I probably used 40lbs or so in my 30g long (36x12?) and it gave me a nice 2-3" sand bed.

I am using one 150watt heater in my 30 long and have no problems with temps fluctuating. I have it placed horizontally across the back/middle of the tank.

One 50lb bag of playsand or pool filter sand would work. I used Quickrete's premium playsand for my tanks and love it. Some people like a larger grain, which would be pool filter sand (you can get PFS at pool supply stores). Playsand I found at Homedepot for $3.48/50lb. I probably used 40lbs or so in my 30g long (36x12?) and it gave me a nice 2-3" sand bed.

I am using one 150watt heater in my 30 long and have no problems with temps fluctuating. I have it placed horizontally across the back/middle of the tank.

awesome! thanks! Quickrete is ok? haha doesn't come across that something from Homedepot would be ok for aquarium use... but I believe you! haha fish are ok with it?
Thanks!

You do have to wash it really good as it is dusty. But yea, my fish love it. My kribs are always busy digging pits and knocking rocks over in it.

I think sand bottoms should be required for tanks that have bottom dwellers. I've seen too many cories with damaged barbels and fins because of rough gravel.

You do have to wash it really good as it is dusty. But yea, my fish love it. My kribs are always busy digging pits and knocking rocks over in it.

I think sand bottoms should be required for tanks that have bottom dwellers. I've seen too many cories with damaged barbels and fins because of rough gravel.

makes perfect sense to me! Sounds fun for the fish.

What was your procedure for getting the sand ready to be put in your tank?

I dumped about 5-8lbs in a 5g bucket and ran it under water, constantly stirring it with my hand until the water runs clear. I've since found out about a cool trick. Dump the sand in a pillow case and run it under water, shaking it occasionally to stir it up, until the water runs clear.

I've had no problems with ACs and sand. I've actually found sand in the filter and there's no damage to the impeller or anything else.

I've had no problems with ACs and sand. I've actually found sand in the filter and there's no damage to the impeller or anything else.
good news!

I dumped about 5-8lbs in a 5g bucket and ran it under water, constantly stirring it with my hand until the water runs clear. I've since found out about a cool trick. Dump the sand in a pillow case and run it under water, shaking it occasionally to stir it up, until the water runs clear.

hmm that sounds good. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom