Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Aquaclear 50 Noise troubleshooting

Old 12-02-2020, 06:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

AC Filters are very good, but have the reputation for being noisy.
Make sure the lid is on properly. Some AC lids have a small plastic lip on the back that needs to hang outside the back edge of the filter box.
Moving the flow control arm to the max flow position often reduces noise.
Make sure the intake tube is firmly seated.
It's important to note that it takes AC filters several weeks for the impeller to gunk up, which greatly reduces annoying noise.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks V227! Not sure if the body of my post was showing but it's mostly quiet, however, it sounds like water is sputtering, creating an annoying noise.

I've tried taking out and adjusting the impeller, intake, and control arm, but can't figure out why the water sounds like it's sputtering. It almost sounds like the impeller is taking in water too fast or something. Not sure how to explain it.

Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hello, just tossing this out there. Do you think your bio rings or something else could be rubbing on impeller? Whenever I add bio to an hob I like to use a media bag or a nylon stocking to contain it.
This will also keep it from pushing other parts of filter into impeller. Hope this helps!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleca View Post
Thanks V227! Not sure if the body of my post was showing but it's mostly quiet, however, it sounds like water is sputtering, creating an annoying noise.

I've tried taking out and adjusting the impeller, intake, and control arm, but can't figure out why the water sounds like it's sputtering. It almost sounds like the impeller is taking in water too fast or something. Not sure how to explain it.

Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nah, separate compartments. Aquaclear are just louder. The only one that is quite is the 110. Every other number makes noise. They work very well though. I'll take the trade off.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

There's one way to eliminate this theory is pull all media, sponges, pads & run empty to then see if you can tell where this noise is coming from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.j.gomez View Post
Hello, just tossing this out there. Do you think your bio rings or something else could be rubbing on impeller? Whenever I add bio to an hob I like to use a media bag or a nylon stocking to contain it.
This will also keep it from pushing other parts of filter into impeller. Hope this helps!!!!!
Old 12-03-2020, 12:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.j.gomez View Post
There's one way to eliminate this theory is pull all media, sponges, pads & run empty to then see if you can tell where this noise is coming from.
Aside from loose stones rattling around the chamber, it's going to something in the motor housing or the intake tube making the noise. Not sure if you're familiar with the layout of an aquaclear but they have separate compartments.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Might want to consider the Tidal 55 instead. Dead silent. Have one on my 10 gallon tank with the intake cut down, running on low setting.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!

I have taken the motor housing and intake etc. apart multiple times and can't seem to figure out where the noise is coming from. Might just have to order another or different filter to test side by side since in all of the videos I've watched, I haven't heard the same noise that I'm getting with mine.

It doesn't seem to be anything with the filter media, but more so near the impeller. Guess I'll just have to keep messing with it.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:08 PM   #10
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

I have several, and they're usually dead quiet. The only times I'm bothered with noise is a) when I do maintenance: the rotor housing will be a little noisy until a little gunk builds up, as someone said above . Or b), the lids sometimes develop a rattle. I have to put something on them or reseat them to make it stop.

One thought: from your description, that sounds like the noise I hear when he filter is trying to clear an air bubble from the intake tube, usually at the inner of the two corners. Have you checked for that?
Old 12-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleca View Post
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!
It doesn't seem to be anything with the filter media, but more so near the impeller. Guess I'll just have to keep messing with it.
Make sure the intake tube is seated and clicks down into the housing of the impeller. Make sure the high/low lever is in the back. Some folks have had it in the front.

Tags
aquac, aquaclear, aquaclear 50, clear, noise, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com