Aquaclear 50 Noise troubleshooting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aleca

Aquarium Advice Newbie

I just set up my tank with the Aquaclear 50.

It's mostly quiet, however, it sounds like water is sputtering, creating an annoying noise. I linked a video of the filter to make it easier to explain.

Anyone know how to fix this to get it to be quiet? I've heard others say their Aquaclears run pretty silent.

Thanks all!

AC Filters are very good, but have the reputation for being noisy.
Make sure the lid is on properly. Some AC lids have a small plastic lip on the back that needs to hang outside the back edge of the filter box.
Moving the flow control arm to the max flow position often reduces noise.
Make sure the intake tube is firmly seated.
It's important to note that it takes AC filters several weeks for the impeller to gunk up, which greatly reduces annoying noise.

Thanks V227! Not sure if the body of my post was showing but it's mostly quiet, however, it sounds like water is sputtering, creating an annoying noise.

I've tried taking out and adjusting the impeller, intake, and control arm, but can't figure out why the water sounds like it's sputtering. It almost sounds like the impeller is taking in water too fast or something. Not sure how to explain it.

Thanks again.

Hello, just tossing this out there. Do you think your bio rings or something else could be rubbing on impeller? Whenever I add bio to an hob I like to use a media bag or a nylon stocking to contain it.
This will also keep it from pushing other parts of filter into impeller. Hope this helps!!!!!
Thanks V227! Not sure if the body of my post was showing but it's mostly quiet, however, it sounds like water is sputtering, creating an annoying noise.

I've tried taking out and adjusting the impeller, intake, and control arm, but can't figure out why the water sounds like it's sputtering. It almost sounds like the impeller is taking in water too fast or something. Not sure how to explain it.

Thanks again.

Nah, separate compartments. Aquaclear are just louder. The only one that is quite is the 110. Every other number makes noise. They work very well though. I'll take the trade off.

There's one way to eliminate this theory is pull all media, sponges, pads & run empty to then see if you can tell where this noise is coming from.
Hello, just tossing this out there. Do you think your bio rings or something else could be rubbing on impeller? Whenever I add bio to an hob I like to use a media bag or a nylon stocking to contain it.
This will also keep it from pushing other parts of filter into impeller. Hope this helps!!!!!

There's one way to eliminate this theory is pull all media, sponges, pads & run empty to then see if you can tell where this noise is coming from.
Aside from loose stones rattling around the chamber, it's going to something in the motor housing or the intake tube making the noise. Not sure if you're familiar with the layout of an aquaclear but they have separate compartments.

Might want to consider the Tidal 55 instead. Dead silent. Have one on my 10 gallon tank with the intake cut down, running on low setting.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!

I have taken the motor housing and intake etc. apart multiple times and can't seem to figure out where the noise is coming from. Might just have to order another or different filter to test side by side since in all of the videos I've watched, I haven't heard the same noise that I'm getting with mine.

It doesn't seem to be anything with the filter media, but more so near the impeller. Guess I'll just have to keep messing with it.

I have several, and they're usually dead quiet. The only times I'm bothered with noise is a) when I do maintenance: the rotor housing will be a little noisy until a little gunk builds up, as someone said above . Or b), the lids sometimes develop a rattle. I have to put something on them or reseat them to make it stop.

One thought: from your description, that sounds like the noise I hear when he filter is trying to clear an air bubble from the intake tube, usually at the inner of the two corners. Have you checked for that? :confused:

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!
It doesn't seem to be anything with the filter media, but more so near the impeller. Guess I'll just have to keep messing with it.
Make sure the intake tube is seated and clicks down into the housing of the impeller. Make sure the high/low lever is in the back. Some folks have had it in the front.

Back
Top Bottom