Aquaclear 50 or 70???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I'm set on getting the aquaclear, but, I'm not sure if I should get the 50gal rated or 70gal rated. My tank is a 45 long with all fish on the cleaner side of the spectrum in it, ie: Rummy nose tetra, cories, smaller danios, and after tomorrow, hatchetfish, some shrimp, and maybe neon or cardinal tetra. So, I'm just not sure which to get. I think it would be just fine with the 50, but the 70 gives 50% more filtration than the 50, which is good, but will it be too strong for the tank?

Definately the higher. I run a 60 and a 40 (Whispers)on my 46 gallon, but I do not use carbon. Mostly sponge doubled up with empty bags. Rinse the sponge biweekly in water from tank and rinse the bags. I also have sponge on the flows back into the tank. Keeps my numbers good with few water changes, every other month, but a bit with the filter cleaning too. Plus the water after cleaning the filters is good plant food. I use a movie size large plastic cup.

Filtration

So, I'm set on getting the aquaclear, but, I'm not sure if I should get the 50gal rated or 70gal rated. My tank is a 45 long with all fish on the cleaner side of the spectrum in it, ie: Rummy nose tetra, cories, smaller danios, and after tomorrow, hatchetfish, some shrimp, and maybe neon or cardinal tetra. So, I'm just not sure which to get. I think it would be just fine with the 50, but the 70 gives 50% more filtration than the 50, which is good, but will it be too strong for the tank?

Hello Lt...

If you follow a sound water change routine by removing and replacing half the tank water every week, the smaller filter will work fine. But, you must commit to changing half the water weekly.

Many water keepers rely on filtration to keep the tank water pure. That's not possible, because filtration only takes in toxic water and replaces that with water that's a little less toxic.

Do your large water changes religiously and you won't need to overfilter your tank. If you can't commit to the routine, then you'll be somewhat better off with the larger filter. The cost difference is about $10-$15.00.

B

Back
Top Bottom