Aquaclear 70 Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I ordered an Aquaclear 70 for my 29g and it arrived today. Questions... I've never used foam inserts or carbon, or carbon bags... I've only ever used the typical filter pads with carbon inside OR a pad cut to fit my filter without carbon...
What should I do with my current filter pad? Best place to put it once I assemble the new filter? And should I use the carbon or save it?
I currently have high nitrates which I'm doing daily PWC to get under control...
Please help :) thank you...

Are you wanting to seed your new filter with the filter pad from your old non-aquaclear filter? There should be room to put the seeded filter pad between the foam sponge and the bio beads and run it for a few weeks to seed the new filter. I've folded old filters in half and put them in the aqua clear media basket and had good results.

I don't use carbon in my filters unless it's after administering medications. You can save the carbon and use it later if you need it. I use 2 foam sponges and a layer of bio beads. I think others recommend using a layer of poly fill in place of the carbon for water polishing.

Tank Filtration

I ordered an Aquaclear 70 for my 29g and it arrived today. Questions... I've never used foam inserts or carbon, or carbon bags... I've only ever used the typical filter pads with carbon inside OR a pad cut to fit my filter without carbon...
What should I do with my current filter pad? Best place to put it once I assemble the new filter? And should I use the carbon or save it?
I currently have high nitrates which I'm doing daily PWC to get under control...
Please help :) thank you...

Hello oc...

Your tank only needs a water turnover rate of 175 gallons per hour (gph). The AC 70 costs about $45.00 and has a gph of 300. An AC 50 would provide plenty of filtration for a 29 G tank and costs about $30.00. The 50 has a gph of 200, more than sufficient for your tank.

If you practice large, weekly water changes, then there's no need to over filter your tank. If you change out half the water in your tank every week, then there's no time for pollutants to become a problem, because the water isn't in the tank long enough to become polluted.

Water changes can save you a considerable bit of money, but not everyone is willing to change that much tank water every week.

Just a thought.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello oc...

Your tank only needs a water turnover rate of 175 gallons per hour (gph). The AC 70 costs about $45.00 and has a gph of 300. An AC 50 would provide plenty of filtration for a 29 G tank and costs about $30.00. The 50 has a gph of 200, more than sufficient for your tank.

If you practice large, weekly water changes, then there's no need to over filter your tank. If you change out half the water in your tank every week, then there's no time for pollutants to become a problem, because the water isn't in the tank long enough to become polluted.

Water changes can save you a considerable bit of money, but not everyone is willing to change that much tank water every week.

Just a thought.

B

I got the Aquaclear 70 on Amazon for $39.95 no shipping... I chose that instead of the 50 because I plan on upgrading to a 40g within the next 6-9 months and would rather be prepared.
I generally do a 50% PWC a week, with the exception of right now because I'm experiencing high nitrates.

Bbarb27 said:
Are you wanting to seed your new filter with the filter pad from your old non-aquaclear filter? There should be room to put the seeded filter pad between the foam sponge and the bio beads and run it for a few weeks to seed the new filter. I've folded old filters in half and put them in the aqua clear media basket and had good results.

I don't use carbon in my filters unless it's after administering medications. You can save the carbon and use it later if you need it. I use 2 foam sponges and a layer of bio beads. I think others recommend using a layer of poly fill in place of the carbon for water polishing.

I went ahead and set up the filter and came back to these responses... I added the carbon and biomax insert as instructed and slipped my old filter pad in the back of the media basket. Will this work okay? How long until the foam is properly seeded and old pad can be removed? Does the carbon become inactive after awhile? I've read that somewhere before. The instructions say to replace every month for the carbon and the biomax insert every 3 months. Since I learned long ago not to trust manufactures, whats the REALITY of this?

The placement of your mature filter pad should be fine, it just needs water flow through it. The foam block that came with the AC, and the bio media should be seeded in 4-6 weeks. The carbon will be exhausted in about 4 weeks, then it becomes more bio material. If you want to run the carbon, replacement every 4 weeks is about right. but there is really no reason to use it unless you are trying to remove meds. As for the biomax, it never needs to be replaced, nor does the sponge, unless it it absolutely falling apart. I have AC filters that are at least 15 yrs old with the original, sponge, and biomax, and they are still fine. The replacement theory is the manufacturers way of making a few extra bucks, on something you don't need to replace:nono:

foster53 said:
The placement of your mature filter pad should be fine, it just needs water flow through it. The foam block that came with the AC, and the bio media should be seeded in 4-6 weeks. The carbon will be exhausted in about 4 weeks, then it becomes more bio material. If you want to run the carbon, replacement every 4 weeks is about right. but there is really no reason to use it unless you are trying to remove meds. As for the biomax, it never needs to be replaced, nor does the sponge, unless it it absolutely falling apart. I have AC filters that are at least 15 yrs old with the original, sponge, and biomax, and they are still fine. The replacement theory is the manufacturers way of making a few extra bucks, on something you don't need to replace:nono:

Okay so I will probably leave the carbon and old filter pad in for 6 wks and then pull then both out... I don't usually have carbon in my tanks.
Sounds like I got a winner in a filter if yours is still going strong after 15 yrs... :)

Yes they are great filters. The only thing I have ever replaced were a couple of impellars. Mine are so old they have the old model # AC 500, AC300:lol:

foster53 said:
Yes they are great filters. The only thing I have ever replaced were a couple of impellars. Mine are so old they have the old model # AC 500, AC300:lol:

It says on the box "previously AC 300" lol

AC's are great HOB canisters. I run a 50 on my 20g and 110 on my 90g. You don't need to replace the pad unless it's falling apart. That could take years... Don't waste your money. Just rinse your pad in old tank water (dechlorinated) real well at water changes and put back in. I don't use carbon often anyway. I'll use it every few months for a month. Keeping carbon in for too long can release chems into the tank (from what I hear). Like others stated, keep your old filter in with the new for about a month. What size was your old tank? If you have the same fish stock your BB will keep up so add new fish slowly so it has time to adjust. :)

FishyBusiness said:
AC's are great HOB canisters. I run a 50 on my 20g and 110 on my 90g. You don't need to replace the pad unless it's falling apart. That could take years... Don't waste your money. Just rinse your pad in old tank water (dechlorinated) real well at water changes and put back in. I don't use carbon often anyway. I'll use it every few months for a month. Keeping carbon in for too long can release chems into the tank (from what I hear). Like others stated, keep your old filter in with the new for about a month. What size was your old tank? If you have the same fish stock your BB will keep up so add new fish slowly so it has time to adjust. :)

It's the same exact tank... Same fish. 29g... I just needed a new filter.. Old filter was an old hand me down off of craigslist ... "Regent 30g" and was getting old and loud... Besides... Good excuse to get something new AND I wanted a great filter capable of handling the 40g i want in the future.

My current stock is:

-- 2 adult mollies
-- 1 adult Platy
-- 2 adult guppies
-- 1 juvy 1" Molly
-- 1 juvy 1" Platy
-- 1 Oto
-- 4 Mickey Mouse Platy fry 1/4"

I didn't realize you were just getting a new filter lol, sorry. Your tank will be just fine. You wouldn't even have to run your old media in it too long. Maybe just a couple weeks. You'd have plenty of BB already in the rocks and decor too!

FishyBusiness said:
I didn't realize you were just getting a new filter lol, sorry. Your tank will be just fine. You wouldn't even have to run your old media in it too long. Maybe just a couple weeks. You'd have plenty of BB already in the rocks and decor too!

The rocks are vacuumed once a week and my big colosseum is full of green algae my Oto eats... My plastic plants were bleached 2 wks ago though.
I'd think there was quite a lot in the colosseum and in rocks.

Back
Top Bottom