Aquaclear 70 HOB Filter Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdcorliss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey All,

I have a 55 gallon tank that came as a kit from all glass/tetra. The heater failed this week and I replaced it with a 250W Visi-Therm Stealth heater and while I was at it and had some extra cash I bought a Aquaclear 70 HOB filter to add to my filtration. My plan is to eliminate the Whisper 60 that came in the kit with a second Aquaclear 70 down the road.

I followed what others had done in the media basket by purchasing a second foam filter for the bottom, placing some filter floss between the foam and the Biomax media.

My first question is does the Biomax media need to be completely submerged ??

Currently I would say 75-80% of the bag is completely covered at this time.

My second question would be when I purchase the second unit to replace the Whisper 60, are there other options for media I should be investigating ??

Thanks in advance

I try to keep the bio submerged. Since the top surface will not be in contact with the water, it reduces the amount of colonies of beneficial bacteria. An HOB with a bio-wheel turns so that there is constant contact with the water.

Your media choices are perfect, you really don't need anything else.

The media bag keeps bunching up the Biomax so it wont lay completely flat, will this loosen up with age ?? I only put a real thin layer of filter floss in between the sponge and biomax so I am not sure where I can reduce some hieght to make sure it is all under water.

I use only one sponge in mine and the floss then the biomax media. If you use 2 sponges I dont see how you would have room for the biomax.

Really if you are using 2 sponges you don't need the biomax or vice versa. One AC 70 should be sufficient for that tank. I would add an extension tube to get the intake closer to the bottom.

I had done a search on filter media and saw the suggestion of the additional sponge instead of the carbon. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom