Aquaclear 70 media choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsgracia

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone! I'm not sure if this should be here. I currently have the AC70 and it came with a foam pad, carbon, and some hard rock like things in a net? (sorry don't know what they are called. Anyway, all this time, I thought that carbon is a necessity. Recently I learned this is really only for removing medicines? Anyway, question is what other medias would you put in this filter. I will have lots of space if I remove the carbon part.

I have a 29 gallon tank FW by the way.

I'm curious as well, I have the AC 110 and would like to know as well.

Fresh or salt? If it's salt, look into converting it to an HOB refugium (just search around, I found the link to it here and on google.) If it's fresh, then it really depends on if you're planted or not. If not, then I say leave the carbon in, as it help clear the water, but if you're planted, take it out, get some better quality bio-balls (the rock-like things), and that's it. Just my 2 cents based on what I have done with my 2 AC 50's and my AC 70.

The "rocks" are ceramic biomedia. There are tons of little holes making a lot of surface area to support beneficial bacteria populations. They're definitely good.

ACs suck up the water and pump it through the media from the bottom up. I put the sponge on the bottom and the biomedia on top. I save the carbon for removing tannins or medication from the water. I don't usually run it.

Here's what I run:
AC30 - AC50 impeller, AC30 sponge, AC30 biomedia bag
AC50 - AC70 impeller, two AC50 sponges, two AC50 biomedia bags
AC70 - two AC50 sponges, AC70 sponge, two AC70 biomedia bags
AC110 - AC110 sponge, two big bags of some generic biomedia

The only extra filter media I needed was the second sponge for the AC50. The other stuff I just had lying around so I put it to use.

I have an AC50 on my 20 gal and an AC70 on my 37 gal.

The AC50 has: 1 AC50 sponge, 1 AC50 biomedia bag, then another AC50 sponge on top. The AC70 currently has one AC70 sponge, one AC50 sponge, one bag of Purigen, and one AC70 biomedia bag.

Cool suggestions. Im gonna look into getting more of those ceramic medias. I might put my carbon back since I don't have any plants. Thanks guys!

If you have already been running the carbon for a few weeks, I'd just throw it away. I'd recommend replacing it with a 2nd sponge.

Do you think it will be ok even if I only have fake plants? I was thinking of another sponge instead at first. Choices...choices.

Unless you have a specific reason to run the carbon, (for example removing meds or tannins like BigJim mentioned) I wouldn't bother with it as it needs replaced often. IMO You're better off with another sponge, more biomedia, or some other filter media like filter floss.

Sounds good! I do have the filter floss from my Aqua-tech that I shoved in there when I changed filters. I think im just going to keep that one in there and maybe get more of those ceramic biomedias.

Bought some bio rings today. So I have (from bottom to top) AC70 foam pad, ceramic rings AC70, another mesh of bio rings (different brand), floss filter from my old aqua-tech. I took the blue sponge thing that I cut out from my aqua tech cartridge out today.

Back
Top Bottom