AquaClear Power Filters, how do they work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snajera7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Since I first had established tanks Iv always used Aqueon power filters and they have always done me well. I haven't had a bad one yet but recently my friend mentioned that I should look into getting a AquaClear for my 30 gallon which will have quite a few new additions in it, in about 5 days due to my 2 female guppies being pregnant. She said it would be more beneficial for the upcoming little guys because it helps reduce stress and whatnot. Anyway iv been looking into it and I'm still debating. The Aqueon filter seem so much easier that the

Oops didn't finish. Anyway how the heck does the AquaClear work? I don't understand the 3 insert process can anyone explains that part for me?

The 3 inserts are a foam sponge at the bottom of the media basket. The next is the bio media (I think they call it biomax). It is just ceramic rings that the beneficial bacteria can grow on. The next is the carbon bag.

I run mine with the sponge on the bottom, biomedia in the middle, and some polyfill on top.

I've ran an AC30 and AC50 and never had any issues with either of them.

meegosh said:
The 3 inserts are a foam sponge at the bottom of the media basket. The next is the bio media (I think they call it biomax). It is just ceramic rings that the beneficial bacteria can grow on. The next is the carbon bag.

I run mine with the sponge on the bottom, biomedia in the middle, and some polyfill on top.

I've ran an AC30 and AC50 and never had any issues with either of them.

Ok thanks! Now how do you change the inserts or I should say when do you change each insert? And how many times a month?

I've never completely changed my sponge in any of my AquaClear's. You should just rinse them in tank water when you do your water changes. I don't run carbon in any of my tanks and just add some polyfill to polish the water a bit.

meegosh said:
I've never completely changed my sponge in any of my AquaClear's. You should just rinse them in tank water when you do your water changes. I don't run carbon in any of my tanks and just add some polyfill to polish the water a bit.

Really! Wow well that seems easy enough. I think I might try it. Thank you for your help :)

When you turn off the filter, most of the water will pour out of the AC. Then you easily take all three layers off. It leaves a little bit of water inside the filter, but the remaining water has a bunch of waste in it. Just pour all of it down the sink or toilet. Some of you experience this too, right?

youtube might have some videos if you ever have a hard time visualizing all this.

Terrance said:
When you turn off the filter, most of the water will pour out of the AC. Then you easily take all three layers off. It leaves a little bit of water inside the filter, but the remaining water has a bunch of waste in it. Just pour all of it down the sink or toilet. Some of you experience this too, right?

youtube might have some videos if you ever have a hard time visualizing all this.

Thanks for your help! :) I think I know what to expect now.

Back
Top Bottom