aquaman!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman!

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi all new 2 th game finding thngs a bit hard :confused:were 2 start i have a aquaone 900 with a mariSys240,i just bought a JEBO uv sterilizer 18w is it to big ? th power head in th mari only pumps out 960 l/hr do i need a larger 1 thanx 4 any help...

Welcome to AA!

I've never had a need for a UV sterilizer, so I'm no help there.

I'd definitely up the pump capacity. Your current setup turns the tank over about 5.5 times per hour. Six to ten turnovers per hour is the range you want to shoot for, possibly more in a marine aquarium.

Just some FYI: Spell check is your friend. Questions are much easier to answer when they're written in good English. No offense intended, especially if English isn't your first language.

Is it a marine or freshwater tank? UV sterilizers are great for killing off bacteria that make your fish sick, but they can also kill off a lot of beneficial things. It is rated for a tank up to 60 gallons, so if my math is correct, you should be fine. I would honestly only run it (on a marine tank) if you were having a problem with ich or some other disease. Not sure about FW though.

You need slow flow through a UV to give it enough 'dwell' time to kill anything that is alive.

A UV will not help with Ich, but can help with Algae. Most of the units you can buy at a lfs or online are so severly underrated that you may as well not use one.

Well, as I understand it, yes and no. If your fish are afflicted by Ich, the UV sterilizer will not instantly cure them. But if it has the correct pump attached it will kill any free swimming parasites and bacteria that go through it. So while by itself it does not cure Ich, with some other methods, it makes it easier to control/treat. True though that their effectiveness is hard to measure, and usually don't do much.

everyone thanks for the help and jimbo7 yes it is a sw and i dont no a gr8 deal about everything im getting there, there is alot to learn. because of the flow rate i did also get a wave maker to help with circulation,

Check out the articles section here for a lot of good reading on starting your tank. Welcome to AA!

Back
Top Bottom