aquarium heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanpat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi everyone, i was just wandering if the 300 watt submersabile heater from hagen is enough to heat an aquarium of 108 gallons or would i need 2? thanks for any comments.....Aquatic products :p:p:p

Depends on how hot you want your tank to be ... and how cold your room is!

I have the 300W & it works fine to keep the tank temp at 75F. <I have a total of 90-100 gal of water.>

For a sub-tropical tank, 300W would be fine, but if you are going for tropical temperature, you are better off having 2 heaters in that size tank. <2 x 250W if your house temp is average (70F).> Having 2 heaters (at opposite ends of the tank) gives better & more even heating in a big tank, and also if one heater fails, your temp will not totally crash.

I use one 150w in my 30g and I didn't get good temps until I placed it horizontally across the bottom of the tank. It is closer to the outflow of my HOB filter so that helps spread the heat more evenly. It is always a steady temperature but I am worried about if it fails - then I would wish I would have did two 75w heaters like jsoong said!

thanks for the help guys... i guess having 2 250 watt heaters is safer and does distribute the heat more evenly... i will most likely go with that choice.... thanks again, Pat:p:p:p

I always use 2 heaters for my tanks (SW here), but the above advice is great.

Back
Top Bottom