aquarium lighting basics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleyantee41

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a used aquarium. I have a hood but nothing to hook light up with. Someone please tell me what to buy. The hood is empty and no place to hook anything up. I need a 18 inch light.

I went to lowe's and purchased two T8 15w bulbs for my hoods that are the same size as yours except I have to have 2 for my 55 gallon. I am adding more external lighting for my plants but the 15w bulbs were all lowe's had to fit my hoods.

They are fluroscent bulbs (18" tubes).. just wanted to be more specific so you would know what to look for. Walmart or any hardware store should carry them. You can get away with lower watts if you don't have a deep tank. The higher the watts the brighter the bulb, and the better lit your aquarium will be.

The guy I bought from just said 18 inch.. I ordered a 18 inch light but for some reason Lowes website wouldn't let me order it. I'm not sure what I bought but when It arrives, I will have to check it out. Thanks for the advice. I thought it had to be some fancy light lol.

Back
Top Bottom