Aquarium lighting pt16378272

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savannafish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I know this is about my 3rd thread on lights for my tank, I am very sorry but I just want to get a few things straight before I go out and spend 100$ on lights. I currently have an led hood fixture that came with the tank I bought but from what I understand that is not enough for a tree coral (which is what I want to buy)

I called my local fish store and asked what lights they use for their softie tank. For some odd reason they wouldn’t tell me what they use they just told me it’s a low to moderate intensity. They said they don’t test for par so that call didn’t really help me lol. Can someone explain to me what “low to moderate” would be considered?

When I search up “lights for aquariums for sale” on google legit nothing comes up besides what to look for in lights. Unless my computer is broken or I’m not looking in the right area lol. Is there a certain brand of lights that is best for softies that is reasonably priced?

I might be completely over thinking this or my brain just ain’t clicking to it hahaha. Thanks for all of your help I promise this will be my last thread.

I am also looking into switching to LED’s and adding corals to my 75 gal. For some reason I can’t get the link to direct me to the lamp. Could you repost or give more details on the lamp?

I am also looking into switching to LED’s and adding corals to my 75 gal. For some reason I can’t get the link to direct me to the lamp. Could you repost or give more details on the lamp?
I found a few cheaper ones for ya. But, just know the lights that have been recommended are small. And for a 75 g your gonna need a few to cover the whole tank. A few more options for you to see. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/322952475040

It was great to see them. Since I have a canopy, I’m not sure how I would install the hanging kind. I did see a bar style but I worry that it might be overkill

It says 324 W. And further down in the specs it says 108X3W. Would that be equivalent to 2-3 of the ones you have for my size? Leah

I do not know unfortunately. I’ve never had experience with that happening.

Hi don't know if you bought your light or lights but here is one I found on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073..._28?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=F7FVYCFZ1GXN1B5TCYN7.
There are so many to choose from now it is crazy. I had one from Tao Tronics and one from reef builders but both blue lights died on me after 4 yrs of running.
But for me I will be going with the Aqua Illumination HD Hydra 26 they do cost more then those.

So since the light I bought didn’t come with a hood (it just hangs from the ceiling) what type of glass can I put over top of the tank so I can cover it but the light will still go through to the corals...would just a sheet of plexiglass work?

So since the light I bought didn’t come with a hood (it just hangs from the ceiling) what type of glass can I put over top of the tank so I can cover it but the light will still go through to the corals...would just a sheet of plexiglass work?

Plexi glass usually warps/bends and falls in...
You should not completely cover a marine tank as it will effect off gassing and drive ph down. A single strip of glass should be fine to protect the light if you like . I hang mine over water no glass under them. Mine are about 8 inches above the water.

Back
Top Bottom