Aquarium not quite leveled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maple Leaf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to this hobby. I just setup a new 45 gal freshwater aquarium 3 weeks ago. It sits on a wood stand on a carpet. It is slightly unleveled. It is about 1/4 inch at the right end corner on the back side and about 1/8 on the front corner. I think it is ok. If I add about 1/2 gallon of water, you cannot notice the unevenness. But because I am new to this, I like to get advice from more experienced aquarists.

03D1F66B-C628-474A-B422-343BE5A25EFB.jpg

49984B63-D551-4661-BA14-7AE705218372.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried moving the tank and stand around a little, couple of inches either side, backwards forwards a little. Its possible with your tank up against a wall your stand is resting on a carpet tack or partially on a carpet tack strip.

Its more important that the tank is properly supported by the stand on all sides rather than level. Obviously the more level the better.

If you resort to shimming, shim the stand not the tank.

I cannot move it anymore. I believe you are right about he carpet being a bit thicker in the back close to the wall. I am pretty sure this what is causing the slant. The stand is very sturdy and even. Maybe next big water change I will try shimming the stand

I shimmed the right side of the stand. It is not perfectly leveled but it is much better. Before the shimming the bubble on the level was completely outside the Lines. Now it is inside. The slant is now hardly noticeable less than 1/16 in.

Attachments

• 2B6D10DA-68EA-45A7-B181-A0E84E130E13.jpeg
    2B6D10DA-68EA-45A7-B181-A0E84E130E13.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 19
Just make sure that by shimming the stand it hasnt twisted in any way. Make sure the stand is properly supported on its base and not just sat on a shim creating point loads. You may want to add more shims if its not supported properly.

That was also my concern with shimming. The stand appears to be properly and evenly seated on the carpet and there does not seem to be any twisting. At least not visually. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom