Aquarium pump for water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tjd2006

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

I want to set up a new fish room but do not want to use a python for water changes.

I would like to see if anyone has any experience using an external pump and some sort of hose to remove water from tanks?

I do not want to put the pump in the tank. Only a hose since I will have at least 20 tanks to start. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use an inline non submersible pump to take water out and a pond pump in a 55 gal water barrel to put water in. Works very well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi Everyone,

I want to set up a new fish room but do not want to use a python for water changes.

I would like to see if anyone has any experience using an external pump and some sort of hose to remove water from tanks?

I do not want to put the pump in the tank. Only a hose since I will have at least 20 tanks to start. Any advice?

Good thing to remember is that most pumps wont be able to do anything unless you prime the line and fill it with water. I learned this one the hard way in my fish room. So what I do now is still use my python and added shutoff valves to each end of everything. I start the python and get the hose full of water. Close the shutoff valve and then take the hose which is now full of water and connect to the pump. Plug the pump in and then open the valves and now the pump can empty a tank. Now as long as I'm paying enough attention I can close the valve on the tank side of the hose before the siphon breaks, and I can move on to the next tank. Otherwise, I have to go back tot he python to again prime the hose before I can empty the next tank.

Good thing to remember is that most pumps wont be able to do anything unless you prime the line and fill it with water. I learned this one the hard way in my fish room. So what I do now is still use my python and added shutoff valves to each end of everything. I start the python and get the hose full of water. Close the shutoff valve and then take the hose which is now full of water and connect to the pump. Plug the pump in and then open the valves and now the pump can empty a tank. Now as long as I'm paying enough attention I can close the valve on the tank side of the hose before the siphon breaks, and I can move on to the next tank. Otherwise, I have to go back tot he python to again prime the hose before I can empty the next tank.

None of my three pumps need any special treatment?? Just turn them on and they move water.

It looks like a lot of the inline pumps are self priming. Do you have yours in a garden hose?

None of my three pumps need any special treatment?? Just turn them on and they move water.

It looks like a lot of the inline pumps are self priming. Do you have yours in a garden hose?

Maybe I should clarify that I keep the pump stationary near my utility tub use it inline as opposed to placing the pump in or near any tank. I use about 25 foot of hose from the tank to the pump which is what I need to prime.

What kind of pump is it?

Brook. What kind of pumps do you have ?

Stand by, I have to do some research;) I've bought so much aquarium related stuff I have a tough time remembering the off brand stuff. They're off amazon. I'll link it

Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom