Aquarium safe for Second Story?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWerner13

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am about to purchase a 110 gallon aquarium which I know after all is said and done weighs over 1000 pounds. So my question is how would I have any idea if it is safe?

The only way to be sure is to consult a structural engineer. You need the house blue prints (or at least the construction methods) & where you intend to place the tank

There are general rules on placing a large tank. You want it on a load bearing wall and across (perpendicular to) the joists. However, house building methods & hence load capacity varies. <Eg. My house's 2nd floor started out as an attic, & is not built to take weight at all ... We have to reinforce the joists just to put in a tub ...>

With anything over 60 or 70 gal, I would not feel safe putting it on a 2nd floor without an engineering analysis.

This is about the best I've read on the subject:
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html

The only way to be sure is to consult a structural engineer. You need the house blue prints (or at least the construction methods) & where you intend to place the tank.
I agree 100%
A professional engineer doing an analysis is the only way to really know.
Most have heard of the 40lb/sf standard for home floors. This does not mean if you have a 12'x14' room you can put 6720lbs of weight in that room. A 2009 Ford F-150's GVW is only 6450lbs. Could you imagine that parked in that room?
A 55 gallon trash can filled with 50 gallons of water weighs (50gal x 8.35lbs/gal) 417.5lbs plus the weight of the can. Use 3 of those side by side by side (1252.5lbs) and your close to a 110gal tank. That's quite a bit of weight. (think concert grand piano)
Better to be safe than sorry.

how in the world would I get a structural engineering analysis? lol what if I just call the complex and ask if I can have a king size water bed?

If you can get the plans for your home, sounds like an apartment to me. You should be able to get a structural engineer to analyze them for a low cost. If it is an apartment you definetly need to talk to your landlord. If something were to happen you would defintley be liable. The percentage of cost for your analysis is small compared to the cost of the potential disaster you may avoid.

I'll do some research, it will be a few months before I have the supplies with the big tank to get it up and running.

Most apartments have clauses restricting the size of fish tanks <and water beds for that matter>. You might what to check that first. This might be true for a condo as well, look through the fine prints & there might be something. If there is no restrictions, then you can get the plans from the builder <or the condo association, or whoever is looking after the maintenance of the builder> and consult a structural engineer.

Is there a way to get the plans without talking to the apartment association? I wanna say I have heard structural designs are made public but I'm not sure... I'm not interested in their permission I just wanna know if its safe. And it turns out a buddy of mine is in his last semester of engineering school and said he could look at it no problem!

You will be fine as long as you put the tank along a load-bearing wall.

Without the plans, you can't tell what is a load bearing wall .... And I wouldn't be too quick in assuming all will be fine .... Chances are, things won't come crashing down, but it can cause cracks in the ceiling below if the floor starts to sag even a little, & the guy below can sue you for damages. I still say better safe than sorry.

As for getting the plans without going through the association, may be check with the city planning department. In our city (at least), you are required to file the building plans to get a building permit. You might be able to get a copy.

I'll go with attempting to find the plans and getting them looked at before I do anything. I am almost positive a large apartment complex like mine wouldn't even allow a 55 so I can't risk them finding out I just need a knowledgeable person on the subject to help me ok it lol. I'll keep you all updated with either a sweet 110 gallon setup or sweet hole in the floor set up either way good for you guys.

... I am almost positive a large apartment complex like mine wouldn't even allow a 55 so I can't risk them finding out...

Wow... going to do it without permission, huh? You do realize that if anything - and I mean ANYTHING - happens you're going to be financially liable for any and everything associated with a single drop of water coming out of the tank... right? I mean, even if a PE tells you the floor plan is safe, but the tank breaks, or you spill a bucket of water... you're going to find your behind in court quicker than you can spell l-a-w-y-e-r. Water damage is a really expensive thing to fix - especially if you're dealing with it going through multiple floors.

Without the plans, you can't tell what is a load bearing wall ....

You can tell by the shape of the roof. The trusses of the roof will run perpendicular to load bearing walls. A wall that separates one apartment from another for example would most likely be a load bearing wall (if it runs perpendicular to the trusses).

You can tell by the shape of the roof. The trusses of the roof will run perpendicular to load bearing walls. A wall that separates one apartment from another for example would most likely be a load bearing wall (if it runs perpendicular to the trusses).

That is what I figured, and is where my 55 is currently located.

Don't worry friends the research will be done before any moves are made. I will consult a professional. I plan on examining my lease. If aquariums are not covered I will purchase appropriate renters insurance just to be sure. Also, the aquarium I have likely won't be ready untill this summer.

Back
Top Bottom