aquarium shelving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeepAsHadal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to put one rimless 22 gallon long 35.82″ x 11.81 x 11.81 on my uline 36"x24" boltless steel shelving. The shelves are kind of ridiculous, but it works in my space. The aquarium would have a couple bags of substrate, plants, fish, but not hardscape.

https://www.uline.com/BL_3867/Wide-Span-Storage-Racks-Particle-Board

I haven't looked at the home improvement store for types of wood, but I was thinking of just replacing the particle board with marine painted plywood. Would this be strong enough?

Would I need to add steel tubing on top of the steel supports under the footprint of the aquarium then bolt the wood to that?

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions or cautions?

Thanks for reading, I appreciate any ideas.

The weight which the shelving unit says it holds 600 lbs per shelf. But I agree that a 3/8ths or half inch board might be a better option than 2 half particle boards per shelf.

The thing I noticed in putting a similar shelf together in my garage was that when moving the shelf, the sides popped out of the v shaped holding slot easily. So I would recommend double check all connections after moving it into place and tap in with a rubber mallet or hammer with a block of wood as a buffer.

Not sure the price for this item, or if you already own it, but there are some nice options which look much stronger to me. (Costco, Sams Lowes Home Depot, etc.)

With thicker steel /metal supports.

Back
Top Bottom