Aquarium silicone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmtiz92

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a 5 gallon, still new in the box never been opened for really cheap, but got it home and realized there's a small crack in the bottom of the tank. It's probably about 3 inches long, it doesn't go through to the other side. Can I use aquarium silicone to shut it and keep it from busting open or is it too big of a risk? I know you can use it on glass but I'm not sure about plastic. I have it sitting full of water outside right now and so far it's not leaking.

Apparently it's actually acrylic, does that make a difference? I can't exchange it, and it's a bit of a drive to return it, so if it CAN be safely fixed I'd like to.

Actually the silicon typically bonds better to acrylic as it melts it

Since its acrylic and the crack is on the bottom you could get a tube of weld-on #16 acrylic cement and glue a piece of acrylic over the crack. I've never heard of silicone melting acrylic but for sure the weld-on will it will fuse one piece to the other and on the bottom no one will see it. You could even weld a piece on both sides for added protection.

By the way silicone does not stick very well to acrylic so its almost a given it would leak.

I'm sorry I meant weld-on no silicone

Back
Top Bottom