Aquarium stand support shelves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saiwong

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I managed to acquire a 2nd hand 65 liter aquarium. Thinking of possiblity of using it as a fry tank.

As before I am using this stand

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B086CYVL9Q/

It comfortably supports my 80 liter aquarium (20 gallon) and the only change I made was to replace the wooden shelves with 90cmx40cm board of 15mm thickness.

I went to purchase wooden shelf for my 65 liter aquarium but they were out of stock of the board I previously used. I got the nearest replacement wood but it was only 10mm thick. Would this be strong enough to support the 65 liter aquarium ?

An alternative is to use the spare cuts from my old shelf (of 15mm thickness) but have them span the width of the stand so that one supports the front & back of the LEFT side (including corners) of the aquarium, whilst the other supports the front & back of the RIGHT side (including corners) of the aquarium.

Which of these options do you think I should use ?

It probably doesn't matter but to be safe, I'd use the 15mm wood as long as you had enough to cover at least 2 inches of each side of the tank. I will often just use a 2" x 2" piece of wood along the rails of a tank rack and set the tank on these . This is for tanks of 20 gallons or less.
With smaller tanks you can get away with style support but definitely not with larger aquariums. They will need a support in the middle as well. (y)

Back
Top Bottom