Aquatic Life T-5 HO Dual Lamp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
T5's are still the most used but if I were buying from scratch now I would go with the HO LED's like buildmyled offers. Even though they're kinda pricey, not having to buy bulbs every year would make the long term cost even. Plus LED's use less electricity. I'll say in 5 years flourescents will be past technology. From what I've seen Brian_Nano post, the finnex is a bit less light than a dual T5HO. So medium light. Hope this helps. OS.

I'm still debating between a T-5 fixture or a LED. So, the Aquatic Life fixture would give me med-high lighting, correct? What would a finnex fugeray planted+ give me? Ray2? Build my LED?

Planted + - Low medium at most
Ray 2 - Medium at most
BML - Possibly high

Heres a link to par ratings for different light fixtures. BML sadly isn't on there. Their numbers do seem a little high though.

Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts

T5's are still the most used but if I were buying from scratch now I would go with the HO LED's like buildmyled offers. Even though they're kinda pricey, not having to buy bulbs every year would make the long term cost even. Plus LED's use less electricity. I'll say in 5 years flourescents will be past technology. From what I've seen Brian_Nano post, the finnex is a bit less light than a dual T5HO. So medium light. Hope this helps. OS.

Which one of the finnex fixtures would give me medium light? The ray2 or the fugeray? Honestly, I would kind of like to have medium light instead of high. Will I still have to dose co2 and dry ferts with medium light instead of high light? And thank you for all your help, by the way. I really appreciate it! (y)

Planted + - Low medium at most
Ray 2 - Medium at most
BML - Possibly high

Heres a link to par ratings for different light fixtures. BML sadly isn't on there. Their numbers do seem a little high though.

Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts

Ok thank you! Would I be able to grow medium-light plants like vallisneria or amazon sword with low-medium light, or is solid medium light needed?

If you are not planning on ever going to high light in the future, the Ray2 should be good for your plant set up. Note that the BML's can come with a dimmer so you could have med light now and high light later. Rivercats has the most skinny on the BML's. She has several. OS.

Ok thank you! Would I be able to grow medium-light plants like vallisneria or amazon sword with low-medium light, or is solid medium light needed?

I'm not familiar with vals since I melted the ones I've tried whith excel but the amazon sword should be fine.

Most vals are medium light and should grow for you. There is a spiral leafed one I saw that was med-high light but it's not that common in LFS's. Your swords should do great.
Good luck, OS.

Thank you guys for all your help! I think I've decided on the Ray2 or a BML. I just have one last question. I am thinking about maybe getting a 40 gallon breeder instead of a 50 gallon. What light level would I have with the height being 2 inches less?

I LOVE the 40g breeder. Go with it hands down. And yes it would be much better on the light levels. The 18" front to back gives you so much room for aquascaping and plants.
OS.

Directly under the light, yes. But the light gets weaker the farther off center you go from the light. So you will get higher light directly under it and lower light at the front and back.

Just clarifying this:

Finnex Ray2
50 gallon: medium light
40 gallon: medium-high

Finnex Fugeray
50 gallon: low-medium
40 gallon: medium light

BML:
50 gallon + 40 gallon: high light

Is this about correct?

A few more questions:
1. Is co2/glut necessary in medium light?
2. Are liquid ferts acceptable in medium light?
3. How often are ferts to be dosed? How much?
4. How often should the light be left on?
Sorry about all these questions :oops:

Back
Top Bottom