Aqueon LED lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would these yield a more "natural, shimmering, underwater" effect compared to the fluorescent lamps I'm running now?

The problem is modifying these things for use in my current hoods...:banghead::banghead:

IMHO yes it most definitely will. You'll get much more natural look plus the shimmer!! Both seem good so it comes down to budget and preference

Personally seeing them side by side I'd go with the Aqueon. I like the color intensity better, it has more shimmer, and the red lights really make the fish color "pop" more than the Marineland, but that's my opinion.
They're both excellent fixtures and no matter which one you go with you're not going to be disappointed. If you have a fish store near you, go in and see if they have them in stock and ask them to throw them on a tank so you can see the difference in person, the worst they cant tell you is no.

Thank you, both; here are a couple of questions, though:

There is a repeated reference to the color "red" when talking about one of these lights, and I just don't see it; can someone point it out to me?

Also -- should either of these fixtures look "warmer" in the tank, on the water, than the fluorescent lamps I'm running now? :thanks:

Again in my opinion the aqueon is definitely brighter however the the double bright is warmer IMO. I Actually but 2 double brights on my tank and it was too bright. I like the the soft, warm look of the double brights but again that's just me.

There both crisp white LED's BUT I will admit the brighter whiter LED does appear to be the aqueon.

Hope this helps

Thank you, both; here are a couple of questions, though:

There is a repeated reference to the color "red" when talking about one of these lights, and I just don't see it; can someone point it out to me?

Also -- should either of these fixtures look "warmer" in the tank, on the water, than the fluorescent lamps I'm running now? :thanks:

The red light will help add a different color mix. Under one fixture an ornament may look green, but when you add red light it will look more yellow.
By "warmer" do you mean like 3700k, 6700k, etc?

The red light will help add a different color mix. Under one fixture an ornament may look green, but when you add red light it will look more yellow.
By "warmer" do you mean like 3700k, 6700k, etc?

Not sure exactly what temperature I mean or referring to; I just know that the lamps included in the hood package with this tank we bought look downright HORRIFIC...they give off like a sickly, cold, greenish hue that reminds me of a hospital ward...difficult to explain, but I will try and get some images up to assist with that...

Not sure exactly what temperature I mean or referring to; I just know that the lamps included in the hood package with this tank we bought look downright HORRIFIC...they give off like a sickly, cold, greenish hue that reminds me of a hospital ward...difficult to explain, but I will try and get some images up to assist with that...

Nope, I know exactly what you mean. Like a hospital room or ER. I got ya, were on the same page. You want a warmer a more eye appealing light. Something easy to look at with sharp bright colors yet warm and kinda homey. Not like your walking into your hospital room waiting to get your tonsils out lol.

I think I got it no?

Nope, I know exactly what you mean. Like a hospital room or ER. I got ya, were on the same page. You want a warmer a more eye appealing light. Something easy to look at with sharp bright colors yet warm and kinda homey. Not like your walking into your hospital room waiting to get your tonsils out lol.

I think I got it no?

Yup...you pretty much got it, 'Con! (y)

I don't know WHAT kinds of bulbs Marineland put in these hoods, but they're really off-putting; if you read some of the owners comments on Petsmart's site that bought this Heartland Ensemble, you'll see where many of them mentioning replacing the lighting...

It gives the tank a really odd look, difficult to describe; would switching to LEDs or even incandescent help this? Or should I get a different variant of fluorescent?

Yup...you pretty much got it, 'Con! (y)

I don't know WHAT kinds of bulbs Marineland put in these hoods, but they're really off-putting; if you read some of the owners comments on Petsmart's site that bought this Heartland Ensemble, you'll see where many of them mentioning replacing the lighting...

It gives the tank a really odd look, difficult to describe; would switching to LEDs or even incandescent help this? Or should I get a different variant of fluorescent?

LED's would help big time. Not much in the way I replacement bulbs for that fixture.

LED's would help big time. Not much in the way I replacement bulbs for that fixture.

So, I would have to change these hoods to get some good LEDs? It was suggested by another member in this thread that the lights may be able to be swapped out for different ones, using the same Marineland hoods that came with this tank package...

At any rate, here's what I'm trying to ascertain, and it really hasn't been established thus far (as far as I can tell): Will the LED lighting be more natural or easy-on-the-eyes as compared to the fluorescent lighting that came stock with my tank?

Further -- I love the idea of having those day/night (moonlight) combo lamps like Marineland sells, where the daytime mode would cast the natural light and the night mode would cast the blue LED hue, but I don't know if these could be retrofitted into my hoods...

So, I would have to change these hoods to get some good LEDs? It was suggested by another member in this thread that the lights may be able to be swapped out for different ones, using the same Marineland hoods that came with this tank package...

At any rate, here's what I'm trying to ascertain, and it really hasn't been established thus far (as far as I can tell): Will the LED lighting be more natural or easy-on-the-eyes as compared to the fluorescent lighting that came stock with my tank?

Further -- I love the idea of having those day/night (moonlight) combo lamps like Marineland sells, where the daytime mode would cast the natural light and the night mode would cast the blue LED hue, but I don't know if these could be retrofitted into my hoods...

Ok I'll try and help the best I can. LED lighting will most definitely be more easy on the eye. It won't be so "in your face" LED's run cooler and have a warmer appeal to them (if that makes sense)

Fluorescent lighting is brighter, it requires a ballast to fire it up. And a lot of times the lower end lamps are just not gonna put out the kind of light your looking for.

Here's my tank with T5 high output lighting.

image-908380140.jpg

Here's my tank with the double brights.

image-1931385323.jpg

You have two very different looks. Now in regards to your stock hood. You can take out your bulbs and put LED strips in its place. It may require a little modification but it can be done. This one BIG reason I don't buy the all on one anymore. Even my bio cube I modded out BIG time cutting into the hood etc but let me stay on track here.

You retro fit anything if your good at DIY stuff or can get some help in doing so. I know your against getting rid of the hood and I understand. With glass tops your open to ALOT more options.

If you went glass tops and really liked the marine land double brights is be willing to help you out with a great deal. Not because I have anything to do with them or trying to sell anything cause I'm not.

I just think the look your going for can very easily be achieved with glass tops and different lighting all together. But I do understand.

I hope I helped out at least a little.

Believe me I really do understand. It's your tank and you have to look at it every day. I went through let's see..... About 8-10 different fixtures before landing on the marine land double bright. My wife wanted to kill me. I'd order 4 lights spending thousands and then sending them back. Ordering a few more and sending them back lol.

Now I'm even looking at yet another light!! It has red, white, green and blue and its a 48" strip. I bet it would look pretty sweet on my tank!!

But I'm torn because I like the natural look of the double bright. But that's another thread lol

Any questions feel free!!

My name is Dino btw.... I'm not really a convict lol

LOL; okay, Dino -- thanks for the "real name heads up;" I didn't think you were actually a convict...:eek: ;) I assume you took the screen name for the types of Chichlids you keep or like?

FIrst, let me say thank you VERY much for taking the time to provide your thoughts here and in assisting me; it is greatly appreciated, my friend. :)

Ok I'll try and help the best I can. LED lighting will most definitely be more easy on the eye. It won't be so "in your face" LED's run cooler and have a warmer appeal to them (if that makes sense)

Yes, that makes sense, and is what I wanted to know and what I am aiming for. :thanks:

Fluorescent lighting is brighter, it requires a ballast to fire it up. And a lot of times the lower end lamps are just not gonna put out the kind of light your looking for.

Why is that though (that the lower-end lamps normally provided in these all-in-one packages aren't going to be great)? I mean, what kinds of fluorescent bulbs are they actually using that makes the coloring of the tank look so horrid?

Here's my tank with T5 high output lighting.

View attachment 154109

Here's my tank with the double brights.

View attachment 154111

Yeah -- the second pic, I suppose, is the look I'm hoping to achieve...that kind of "daylight shimmering down into the water" effect...the Marineland DOUBLE BRIGHT LEDs will achieve this?

You have two very different looks. Now in regards to your stock hood. You can take out your bulbs and put LED strips in its place. It may require a little modification but it can be done. This one BIG reason I don't buy the all on one anymore. Even my bio cube I modded out BIG time cutting into the hood etc but let me stay on track here.

I'm learning my lesson about these all-in-one packages, believe me; this will be the last time I buy into one of these I think. I emailed Marineland directly about the retrofitting for this particular hood setup, so I will let you know as soon as I hear from them...

You retro fit anything if your good at DIY stuff or can get some help in doing so. I know your against getting rid of the hood and I understand. With glass tops your open to ALOT more options.

If you went glass tops and really liked the marine land double brights is be willing to help you out with a great deal. Not because I have anything to do with them or trying to sell anything cause I'm not.

I just think the look your going for can very easily be achieved with glass tops and different lighting all together. But I do understand.

I hope I helped out at least a little.

Yes, you helped me out much MORE than just a little -- as for the glass top route, I totally understand where you're coming from...it's just that on my last tank, before it cracked and leaked all over our house, I was running the glass versa tops with an Aqueon light strip over it, and a wood matching canopy over the whole thing, and the tops would constantly fall into the water unless I was VERY careful...they drove me nuts, especially with the cleaning of them as they would get CAKED with grime and calcium deposits that wouldn't always come off...

Believe me I really do understand. It's your tank and you have to look at it every day. I went through let's see..... About 8-10 different fixtures before landing on the marine land double bright. My wife wanted to kill me. I'd order 4 lights spending thousands and then sending them back. Ordering a few more and sending them back lol.

Now I'm even looking at yet another light!! It has red, white, green and blue and its a 48" strip. I bet it would look pretty sweet on my tank!!

You spent THOUSANDS on aquarium light fixtures?? :blink::blink:

What kind of hue would that red/white/green/blue lamp cast in the water?

But I'm torn because I like the natural look of the double bright. But that's another thread lol

The Double Bright fixture definitely gives that "natural" look like the light is "shimmering" under the water?

Any questions feel free!!

Thank you very much...:):D(y):thanks:

Glad I can help!! They give you the cheapest light IMO because it's an all in one package deal, you'd think they would change that and add T5's or LED's and use charge a little more, that would make more sense.

You have time and take it slow, make the right decision!! It will come to you eventually.

If you decide on the marine land please contact me first before doing anything.

Oh and yeah I've spent a lot of money on fixtures, trying them then returning them lol I even had a company custom make me one and returned that one, I felt bad BUT I have to LOVE my tank!!

It was a wild ride lol

Now I see this LED with all here colors and I think to myself hmmmmm..... LOL!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Glad I can help!! They give you the cheapest light IMO because it's an all in one package deal, you'd think they would change that and add T5's or LED's and use charge a little more, that would make more sense.

I TOTALLY agree. (y)

You have time and take it slow, make the right decision!! It will come to you eventually.

If you decide on the marine land please contact me first before doing anything.

I shall contact you first; thank you. :)

Back
Top Bottom