Aqueon LED lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NetBloke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just looking for opinions on these LEDs lights. I see the general view is not great for plants. How are are they generally? Quality? Longevity?

They are on sale at PetSmart for $75 for a 48 inch. Sounds like a good deal.

Thanks!

I don't have experience with that light but I've heard mixed reviews. If it were me, I'd go with marine land double brights.

This is just my opinion of course. Worse case, buy it, try it, hate it, return it. LOL you don't even wanna know how many lights, light fixtures etc I went through. My wanted to kill me.

Last edited:
I don't have experience with that light but I've heard mixed reviews. If it were me, I'd go with marine land double brights.

What part of the Big Apple you in?

Regarding the light, I'm interested in this as well -- the dual hoods that came with my brand new Marineland 60 gallon setup from Pet-not-so-Smart house fluorescent lighting systems that look HORRID and give off a sickly, greenish hospital ward-like glow...so I'd like to change my lighting at some point...

I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, though -- a softer fluorescent, indandescent, LED, ones that give off that "shimmering" effect...I see you mentioned the Marineland double bright LEDs, but I was interested in those lights they make that have the DAY/NIGHT switch in which the DAY puts off standard/incadescent/LED lighting and the NIGHT casts the entire tank in a dark blue hue...do you have any experience with these?

What part of the Big Apple you in?

Regarding the light, I'm interested in this as well -- the dual hoods that came with my brand new Marineland 60 gallon setup from Pet-not-so-Smart house fluorescent lighting systems that look HORRID and give off a sickly, greenish hospital ward-like glow...so I'd like to change my lighting at some point...

I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, though -- a softer fluorescent, indandescent, LED, ones that give off that "shimmering" effect...I see you mentioned the Marineland double bright LEDs, but I was interested in those lights they make that have the DAY/NIGHT switch in which the DAY puts off standard/incadescent/LED lighting and the NIGHT casts the entire tank in a dark blue hue...do you have any experience with these?

It sounds like your talking about moonlights? My fixture has daylights and then at night I have the option to turn on the moonlights.

Oh and right outside NYC, a stones throw away

It sounds like your talking about moonlights? My fixture has daylights and then at night I have the option to turn on the moonlights.

Oh and right outside NYC, a stones throw away

So, you're in one of the boroughs? I used to live in Nassau County...

Marineland doesn't call them "moonlights," but I think that's what I'm talking about...here, have a look:

Freshwater Saltwater LED Aquarium Kits | Marineland

Actually, now that I looked into it further, it doesn't seem like I'd be able to get these, as they're only sold as a package in a hood that comes with the tank kits shown in that link...:banghead: :(

So, you're in one of the boroughs? I used to live in Nassau County...

Marineland doesn't call them "moonlights," but I think that's what I'm talking about...here, have a look:

Freshwater Saltwater LED Aquarium Kits | Marineland

Actually, now that I looked into it further, it doesn't seem like I'd be able to get these, as they're only sold as a package in a hood that comes with the tank kits shown in that link...:banghead: :(

Have you looked into the marineland double brights?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23738

Check out my album the updated cichlid one. That's the ML DB's

I'm in Westchester County but was born and grew up in the Bronx, East Tremont near the cemetery. Around that area.

Ok I see mixed reviews on both. Perhaps I should just buy and try.

That's the best thing to do in my opinion. What one likes the other may not. I know people that run 6 or 8 bulb t5 HO fixtures on there cichlid tanks and I'm happy with one ML DB.

Ah I gotcha. You can purchase glass tops from your LFS.

Aqueon » Versa-Top? Hinged Glass Tops | Products

Then ANY light you can dream of will work :)

Yes, indeed I know; I would just like to try and make these hoods work if I could because they just fit perfectly, and I had glass tops on my last 60 gallon which would always fall into the tank during cleanings and such....I just didn't care for them. But they DO make the selection of lights definitely more widely available...

I have the Aqueon FW over a 29g, had the Marineland double bright on it prior to the Aqueon. The Aqueon blows it out of the water for brightness and color in my opinion. The Aqueon is more white and has the red bulbs that help the color of fish pop, the Marineland has more of a blueish look to it and it's no where near are bright. The Aqueon prduces a lot more "shimmer" to it. The only thing I don't like about the Aqueon is the power switch is out 6 inches away from the plug in.
Personally I'd take the Aqueon any day over the Marineland.
You can take the light fixture off the tank and set the Aqueon where the lights were, that's what I did on my 29g.

You more hen likely have t8's there bigger bulbs the t5's are thinner.

If it was me I'd do the glass tops. That setup kinda limits you as you can see. You have a single bulb in each fixture right?

You know something, I'm not sure if they're single or double rows of bulbs in each hood/fixture; I THINK they're double, believe it or not...I will have to check the next time I take them off...

Here's the thing, though: Can't I somehow keep these hoods and replace the bulbs inside with something else? I realize the fluorescent lights are the "clip-in" kind of connection as opposed to the standard bulb "screw-in" type, but can't I find any incadescent or LED setup that would allow me to use these fixtures/hoods?

You know something, I'm not sure if they're single or double rows of bulbs in each hood/fixture; I THINK they're double, believe it or not...I will have to check the next time I take them off...

Here's the thing, though: Can't I somehow keep these hoods and replace the bulbs inside with something else? I realize the fluorescent lights are the "clip-in" kind of connection as opposed to the standard bulb "screw-in" type, but can't I find any incadescent or LED setup that would allow me to use these fixtures/hoods?

Oh yes, you can mod the hood and get something like this and put it in the place of the bulbs while keeping the look you have.

http://www.ecoxotic.com/panorama-led-modules.html

Oh yes, you can mod the hood and get something like this and put it in the place of the bulbs while keeping the look you have.

Ecoxotic Panorama LED Module

Hmmmmm....interesting....thanks very much for that link!

I could also just change the KIND of fluorescent lighting in my hood, right, without doing any kind of modding? Perhaps something else that would look less sterile, less cold/sickly?

Back
Top Bottom