Aqueon model 3 Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shoei

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I just got the model 3 sump and i need to know what return pump would fit in the 3rd chamber 8-1/2" x 13-3/4" and also what overflow i need to get. My tank is not drilled would the CPR overflow work? This is my first sump so I am trying to figure it all out :huh:

As far as the pump, there aren't too many common models out there that won't fit in those dimensions, so it will come down to what you need for your size tank. How many gallons is the sump and display tank?

I use an Eheim return pump. It is a bit more expensive, but nearly silent in operation, and have used their canisters for years and feel they make reliable products. A lot of folks also use the mag drive pumps, which come highly recommended and are a bit cheaper than the Eheims. Both are available at Bulkreefsupply.com.

As far as the pump, there aren't too many common models out there that won't fit in those dimensions, so it will come down to what you need for your size tank. How many gallons is the sump and display tank?

I use an Eheim return pump. It is a bit more expensive, but nearly silent in operation, and have used their canisters for years and feel they make reliable products. A lot of folks also use the mag drive pumps, which come highly recommended and are a bit cheaper than the Eheims. Both are available at Bulkreefsupply.com.

Display is 55
Sump is 20.9

Now if i get the cpr overflow rated 300gph should i get a return pump thats rated close or higher? Should the gph be almost the same?

Well if you go higher you will need a way to choke it down such as a ball valve. You don't want to pump up more water than the overflow is capable of handling.

Don't forget to take into account head loss! In other words, if you get a pump rated at 300gph and set it in the sump on the floor with a return four feet above, there won't be 300gph coming out because the pump has to overcome the back pressure. Most of this information can be found on the pump packaging.

Whatever the flow rate on the pump is at the head height you have, you want the overflow rated that or higher so the pump doesn't drain the sump faster than the overflow can drain the tank and refill the sump.

having a valve on your pump is a good idea anyway IMO if you need to remove the sump for maintenance or something, and that can keep you from having a flood or otherwise making a big mess.

All good points! Head loss is dramatic so it needs to be accounted for.

I'm using a CPR CS90 overflow and a Rio 2100 in My ProFlex model 3 setup. It all works great and i get a strong flow at a 5' head height.

My tank is a 70g so it's a little bigger than yours.

Last edited:
Don't forget to take into account head loss! In other words, if you get a pump rated at 300gph and set it in the sump on the floor with a return four feet above, there won't be 300gph coming out because the pump has to overcome the back pressure. Most of this information can be found on the pump packaging.

Whatever the flow rate on the pump is at the head height you have, you want the overflow rated that or higher so the pump doesn't drain the sump faster than the overflow can drain the tank and refill the sump.

having a valve on your pump is a good idea anyway IMO if you need to remove the sump for maintenance or something, and that can keep you from having a flood or otherwise making a big mess.

Ok so if i get the cpr 300gph overflow and a mag rated 350gph and i have 3 feet of headloss this should be ok? Sorry i like this hobby but i aint vey good in the plumbing section of this hobby lol

for the cost of a CS50 overflow i would recommend just going with the CS90 and putting a ball valve on there to throttle down the flow. The CS90 is only $15 more on Amazon and it's rated at 600gph. JMO though.

Edit: Something else to keep in mind, the bulkhead on the CS50 overflow is 3/4" and the Model 3 Sump intake is a 1" connector. Not a big difference but a difference none the less.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom