Aqueon power filter not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kris182

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone.

Earlier this evening there was a power glitch at my place.

My aqueon power filter 50-75 is on a small power bar with no surge protector. Now the filter is not working. What can I do to get it running?

Unless it fried during the power surge......

That is not an uncommon problem with the Aqueon HOB filters.
However it is an easy and quick fix,
The reason is, after a while debris collects in the impeller chamber and on the impeller its self ......and this stops it from spinning.. It does not take much for this to happen.
Sometimes if it is dirty, it will not even restart if power is interrupted for a couple seconds.

Anyway, you just have to clean it and it is really simple and quick.
Just take the pump assembly apart at the joint.... it is just a snug friction fit\
There is one big clip that secures it but you can't miss it
When apart, you will then see the impeller and the impeller chamber
Then clean it and put is back together.... and it will pump like new

BTW it's good idea to put a foam pre filer on the intake as it will filter out much crap before it gets to the impeller. It even extends the life of the filter cartridge
That is what I do..:) .

Thanks. I have a prefilter on the intake, but it's not long enough to cover the entire intake.

The filter is heavy for me, so I'll have to try to empty it prior to taking it out.

Yeah you will figure it out\.

This is what I do..
Un plug it of course,

First,, I take out the small blue holder.
Then I lift up up the filter and pour most of the water back in the tank
You want to initially to quickly put the filer in something to catch all the remaining water. I use a old small plastic basin.

BTW that small blue holder is supposed to be for an anti ammonia rectangle,
However, with a cycled tank ,you do not need that
So, I put it to better use by putting some ceramic bio rings in it. :)

So I'm trying to get the impeller housing to come off but it refuses to budge. I've attached a photo of the area I'm talking about. I can remove the entire motor housing, but that's it.

How do I get this to come off without breaking it?

Attachments

• 20220217_125801.jpg
    20220217_125801.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 46
So I managed to get the impeller housing off, it really wasn't dirty, and I got the filter working again.

Thanks for the help.

Great .. :)
Like I said, sometimes it does not take much to stop the impeller

BTW. the housing is a tight friction and you might of had some crud around the joint making it that much harder to take off.

Anyway, now you know exactly what to do if it stops again.

Back
Top Bottom