Aqueon Versa glass tops don't fit. Can I cut them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim Wheatley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey folks.

I got two 24" lids for my 55 galllon but they do not fit (even though the box and their site says they should). They're about half an inch too wide.

Does anybody have any experience cutting these? Can I use standard glass cutters?

Thanks,

Tim

Interesting. I suppose a regular glass cutter could do it. Not sure I'd risk it though since it's new and you have the ability to send them back. If something goes wrong you won't be able to return them.

They're just 1/4" glass right? I see no issues, if you've cut glass before. If not, I'd take it and have somebody do it that has before (so they have to replace it if they mess it up).

EDIT: Neilan has a good point about sending them back....

There are several different manufacturers of aquariums, and each brand has a slightly different size of glass top (or hood) that will fit properly. Like Ford and Chevy wheels, an All-Glass/Aqueon top won't fit on a Marineland tank rim. The glass for 55 gallon tops are usually 1/8", and a regular glass cutter will work well enough, but you may have a hard time getting an even break on such a thin edge cut. A pair of pliers and some suitable sandpaper may be necesary to finish the job.

I agree with Neil, I'd send them back.

Just measure carefully and see if they have a size that will fit by their exact specs, not what they say it will fit.

I got burned on that before myself.

But when they do fit (which is usually), I really like them.

+1 on different brands of tanks having slightly different dimensions. I've got an old O'Dell 29g that is about 1/4" too short for a Marineland glass canopy. I've got an unknown 20H that is 3/8" too wide for the canopy I have on it. If it's not positioned just right, there's a gap.

Sometimes the brands match and it's just a sloppy fit. I've got an Aqueon 40B with an Aqueon glass canopy and it doesn't fit well. The plastic strip on the back of the canopy is a 1/4" too wide to fit right. One of these days I'll take my Dremel to it.

I don't even have a clue what brand mine is. :) I'm going to give trimming them a shot. It's been a while but I think I should be able to do it. I think otherwise I'm not going to find glass that will fit.

I get glass cut to size locally and buy the hinge and backsplash strips separately (cheaper online than at the lfs) to make my own tops if the versa-tops aren't the right size. Most of my tanks are bought used, and for some reason Marineland seems to be more common than All-Glass.

Where do you buy the plastic strips from online? My 75 glass is the right size, but I trimmed the plastic to my old filters and now there's gaping holes.

I'll try trimming the 55 glass to fit, thanks guys. :)

FosterAndSmithAquatics.com sells hinge and backsplash, both 1/8" and 3/16" in 6' lengths, or you can get smaller pieces (at least of the backsplash) from petmountain.com
If I only need, say, a 2' piece of hinge I'll pick that up at the lfs, but since I had to replace all the strips on a used 90 gallon and needed some new pieces for a 55 and 125 (and will have extra on hand when I need it later) it was a better deal to buy full strips and pay shipping than to pay $4/foot at the lfs. I really should have ordered 1 each of all 4, but didn't realize that the glass tops on the used 125 were 3/16" until I had already placed the order to F&S, so I got a few smaller lengths from petmountain since I was buying malaysian wood and the shipping was free.

Back
Top Bottom