are aquarium light bulbs different from the house light bulb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
are aquarium light bulbs different from the standard house light bulb that you might have in the kitchen, bedroom, living etc.....
???

Well, a lot of that depends on the aquarium, and on the house. Most houses are going to be using incandescent or NO fluorescent lighting, and a lot of simple aquariums will be, too. Some houses, my own included, use the PC fluorescent lighting, just because it is more efficient and the bulbs last longer. The only time you're going to be seeing drastic differences in lighting is when you start looking at planted tanks. Those need a lot of wattage so that the plants can grow, and so they use high wattage VHO or PC or even ODNO fluorescent lighting, which you probably won't see in your average household.

Largely, the main difference you will see between aquarium lighting and household lighting is the colour temperature (measured in Kelvin degrees) of the light. Sunlight will be 5,000K+ and this is the range you see for lights in planted aquariums. In a household, though, thoe lights would look unnaturally blue, and so household lights will be in the range of 2500-5000K, which is a lot gentler (not to mention more flattering) on the eyes.

I hope that's helped.

I've used regular old 18" flourescent tubes that we use in the kitchen as back up bulbs before when my good bulbs have went out

HannahJ said:
Well, a lot of that depends on the aquarium, and on the house. Most houses are going to be using incandescent or NO fluorescent lighting, and a lot of simple aquariums will be, too. Some houses, my own included, use the PC fluorescent lighting, just because it is more efficient and the bulbs last longer. The only time you're going to be seeing drastic differences in lighting is when you start looking at planted tanks. Those need a lot of wattage so that the plants can grow, and so they use high wattage VHO or PC or even ODNO fluorescent lighting, which you probably won't see in your average household.

Largely, the main difference you will see between aquarium lighting and household lighting is the colour temperature (measured in Kelvin degrees) of the light. Sunlight will be 5,000K+ and this is the range you see for lights in planted aquariums. In a household, though, thoe lights would look unnaturally blue, and so household lights will be in the range of 2500-5000K, which is a lot gentler (not to mention more flattering) on the eyes.

I hope that's helped.
8O VERY HELPFUL !!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks !!!!!

I'm glad I helped! I just wanted to clarify that ODNO = over-driven NO fluorescent lighting, which refers to when the budget-conscious expert does some DIY work to increase the output of a NO light to more like a PC light. (It's not recommended for the novice, for obvious reasons.)

Back
Top Bottom