Are filter pads and sponges necessary for canister filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edmond

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 50 gallon tank with about 70 lbs of live rock. 2 clowns, a firefish, a rock blenny and a mandarin dragonette. I have 10 hermit crabs, 5 snails and 2 emerald crabs. For coral I have bubble coral, a small hammer head coral, a small frogspawn, a duncan and a rose anemone. I have a eheim canister filter, a uv filter and a red sea hang on protein skimmer.

My canister filter has 3 levels of media, with a circular sponge on the bottom that I have never changed, just cleaned whenever I rinse the media. It also has space on the top level for a white filter pad. I rinse out my media every time I do a water change.

Do I need to use these pads/sponges? Or is the media combined with my live rock enough?

I have a feeling that these sponges are helping causing hair algae.

i would slowly start removing all the media from the filter and just use it as a water pump. All that stuff can turn into a nitrate factory, even with regular cleaning. The live rock will do the filtering.

you could periodically cut a phosphate or nitrate sponge and use the canister for that if those get out of control. Or just run carbon once in a while if you feel the need.

Back
Top Bottom