ASM G1X skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
are all skimmers the same in that they produce micro bubbles until they "break in" ? i am firing up my 75g and the new skimmer is making a ton of bubbles. they make it through the baffles in my sump. without the skimmer on i have no bubbles , so i would assume the baffle design is correct.

thanks
steve r

Bubbles are coming OUT of the skimmer? By the time they pass through the exit tube and flow over the sponge, they should be completely diffused, unless I'm misinterpreting. :?

in a perfect world they would be completly diffused :) . after they pass out and through the sponge there are still tons of very fine bubbles. theses bubbles are making it into my main. i guess i just wanted to know if all skimmers need a break in time and will have reduce bubbles after that break in time

steve r

I have an ASM GX1 and when I first fired it up for a few days I had microbubbles, but after about a week or so they went away. I do get microbubbles when I add anything to the tank, food, supplements, my hand. They usually last for about an hour and then they are gone.

I have the sponge on the ASM about an inch above the output pipe.

I know that most skimmers have a break in period and change their behavior after that period. I don't know if the bubbles are going to be part of that change or not.

Soon (couple of months) I'll be breaking in a G2 skimmer ona 120 gal and am interested in your results. Good luck, sorry I can't provide more.

I have an ASM G1 skimmer and it has never had bubbles come out of it (only into the collection tube and cup). BUT, there is a break-in period where it may not skim much for awhile. I would check all of your connections (collection cup secure, up tube secure, pump secure to skimmer, and air tube secure to pump--this one especially) HTH

thanks guys. i appreciate the input. it is skimming strange right now. i dont have any bio load untill friday ( all new water and sand) so it just making white foam and skimming some junk out of the water. but nothing brown. that sounds pretty normal.

steve r

it will skim whitish stuff for a little bit, as its removing some finer particles out of the water, mine did the same through the cycle...

It should start to skim brown shortly :p

just an update for those that may buy this skimmer in the future. as soon as i got a bio load in the tank the skimmer stopped making the white clouds of micro bubbles and started skimming brown junk. i guess it just need something to skim. it is working great now and no micro bubbles

steve r

Back
Top Bottom