asm skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
it looks like I'll need to replace my skimmer (it's a coralife skimmer)....I've had great luck in my other tank that has an asm g-3 skimmer so I'm thinking of staying with the same brand.

What size skimmer should I use in my tank? It's a 40 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. This tank will mainly house corals so I'd like to make sure I get the correct capacity skimmer.

Thank you!

Well, IMO those ASM skimmers are just overpriced Octo's. They are virtually the same skimmer (they are good skimmers).
That being said, if you want an ASM, probably the G1 (5 1/2" body diameter) rated for 100g at around $225. If it was me, I would get a NW150 (6' body diameter) rated for 150g at around $155.

I've looked at that skimmer and I'll probably go with it....I have a new problem....it's indirectly related. My (%^&)!!! washer died last night so I'm going to have to postpone the skimmer for a few weeks. So, that being said, I've got to nurse my coralife skimmer along for a couple of weeks. My problem with it is that it is filling the cup within 20 minutes (instead of being greenish-it's clear). I've dialed it down as far as I can but it keeps overflowing. Suggestions?

Also, this is being used in the new 40 gallon tank.

There is also the ASM g mini that is rated for 75-80 gallons. I just bought one and it seems to be working nicly but i havn't had it long enough to give you a good review or anything. An option you may want to look at though.

ccCapt is right they are pretty much the same skimmer. I have an ASM G4X with the recirc mod and it is a work horse.

I can't help you much on the skimmer you have as I have no idea what it even looks like. I agree with Cmor, get the Octo and save some cash.

Last edited:
Sorry...I was looking at more then one thread at a time when I posted that message. ccCapt is almost always right too..LOL

Uhhh, having a custom made skimmer and deferring to Larry on the Octo's I've only been reading this thread for info until now.

Thanks for the plug guys :p ;)

Just purchased the octopus NW150 last night......my old coralife skimmer was used as a frisbee. Anything different in setting up this skimmer? My asm was fairly easy once I got it adjusted to how I wanted it.

Set up should be the same as the ASM. Adjust the water level with the riser tube and watch it skim. :)

Back
Top Bottom