astro 2208 cannister constant air - impeller problem ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nykolas

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi

I have an astral 2208 that has worked wonderfully for many years now for some reason there always seems to be air gushing through the filter. Of course since I had the filter many years I know how to bleed out the air etc

I am thinking that maybe the impeller is not working properly as everything else seems to be okay. though I did open and clean the impeller with no sign of damage

If it is likely the impeller, where could I find a replacement impeller for this model? googling did not seem to work

thanks

nyk

Im not saying this is definitely the case but your filter looks very much like an aqueon quietflow canister filter. They may be the same filter just with different branding. In which case the spares should be interchangable. Maybe contact aqueon and ask them.

Im assuming aqueon parts etc are more easily obtainable for you. Im seeing parts for the astro mainly on asian and australian sites.

Mq9mRpU.jpeg

Astro

tgurAsN.jpeg

Aqueon

Many identical filters are sold under different brands. Allpond Solutions, sunsun, polar aurora, marineland all have filters identical to each other.

Last edited:
Thanks that was very helpful advice.

So I was wondering if I could follow up with another quick question.... Do you think a faulty impeller (weak magnet) would somehow create bubbles? this is a little bit of a mystery I have tried every which way to make sure that there is no air in the canister or the lines
I am asking because maybe I should just get another filter? :)

If there are bubbles coming out of the filter then air must be getting in. I dont think an impeller could cause that.

Is the filter leaking water? Maybe the o ring?

Personally i would replace the impeller, impeller cap and o ring every couple of years regardless. Not wait for things to go wrong.

problem resolved :) it turns out on my filter beside the intake and out tubes there is like a bleeder valve . It's a little confusing how it works but I saw that it was partially on and that is how the air was somehow getting sucked in (i think) in the end I tightened it and now the filter is working properly again :) but it's definitely a good suggestion about changing the impeller

thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom