Ati sponge filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
How often are these supposed to be cleaned? I would like to retain my bio filter but also don't want a nitrate factory.

Personally I would just give it a quick squeeze in a bucket of old tank water now and then, that shouldn't harm the bacteria,

Cool! Every once in a while like every month? Every other week?

Whenever it looks dirty, once a week or 2 weeks would probably be fine

ATI sponge filter

It all depends on tank size, how many fish, Try every 2weeks, and see how dirty it is, if its real dirty, go to weekly, if not stick to twice a month, I have 1 on a cobolt400 powerhead in a 35g, it does a great job, every tank is different tho, Just squeeze and rinse when you do a water change in that same water from tank, Dont worry about ur bacteria, it will bgin to colonize again soon as you put it back in, Hope this helps...:fish2::fish2::fish2:

It helps a lot. Thanks to all for your input. So these can become nitrate factories if not regularly squeezed out?

API sponge

They wont become nitrate factorys, But they will help with your bio-load, and aid in keeping water clean along with your filter, as you will see when you squeeze and clean it out, Im using a new media in my filters called Biohome Ultimate from the UK that has reduced my Nitrate levels to marine levels, 5-10ppm in a hevily stocked tank, Google it and you tell me what you think...:fish2::fish2::fish2:

That's good to know. I will still try and keep clean. Thanks!

Sponge filters, like any bio filter are nitrate factories. That is their function. Keeping them clean will reduce or low the rate of nitrate build up. They do require vigorous squeezing to get then clean. The nitrifying bacteria is well adhered to the sponge and not easily removed. Every tank is different as to how often they "need" to be cleaned. Getting the solids out so they can function properly is a good idea, for any filter.

Back
Top Bottom